Are Apples Keto? We all know that apples are a healthy, natural food, but can you eat them when you are on a keto diet? In this post, you’ll learn everything you need to know about the carb content of apples, plus tasty ways to enjoy this fruit while doing keto.
Due to their high sugar content, apples have a lot of carbs. A medium-sized apple has more than 20g of net carbs, which is as much as some potatoes.
Although some types of apples have fewer carbs than others, they’re all too much for a typical keto diet. If you’re avoiding sugar, you’ll definitely want to limit your consumption of this fruit.
Are Apples Keto?
According to USDA, there are over 20 grams of net carbs in a typical medium-sized apple, therefore, apples are hard to fit into your keto diet. A single apple may be enough to knock you out of ketosis.
How Many Net Carbs In Apples?
Wondering how many carbs are in apples? This all depends on the size of the apple. Although the carb content also varies by type, this is what you can expect on average:
|Apple||Total Carbs||Fiber||Net Carbs|
Are Apples Low In Carbs?
Many fruits and vegetables are off-limits on a low-carb diet and apples are no exception. People on a low-carb diet tend to avoid apples due to their high sugar content.
The carb and sugar content will vary depending on the type of apple, but at the end of the day, they’re all too carby for keto.
Is Apple Cider Vinegar Keto?
Yes, apple cider vinegar is keto-friendly. It is made by fermenting apple juice. By the end of the fermentation process, bacteria and yeast consume almost all of the sugar content, which keeps the carb count low. ACV is considered keto-friendly for this reason.
Apple Nutritions (Macros)
How Many Carbs In Apples?
Apples are quite high in carbs. You can expect 25 grams of carbs for a medium-sized (182g) apple. Despite their sugar content, apples have a low glycemic index ranging from 34 to 38.
Most of the fiber in apples is found in the skin. Based on nutrition information from the USDA, a peeled apple has only 1.5 grams of fiber, while an unpeeled apple has as much as 5 grams of fiber.
A medium-sized apple has less than half a gram of fat.
Apples are very low in protein. A medium apple (182g) provides a negligible ½ gram of protein.
The caloric content of an apple will of course depend on its size. A small apple (149g) has around 78 calories. Medium apples (182g each) provide 95 calories per serving. You can expect 116 calories from a large (223g) apple.
Keto Apple Substitutes
For Savory Dishes
For savory dishes, swap apples for chayote squash, yellow squash, or zucchini. Since texture is the most important factor, these low-carb replacements will do the trick.
For Sweets and Desserts
For sweets and desserts, use apple extract or maple extract to get that classic apple taste. These extracts are delicious in salted caramel apple muffins, keto apple crisp, and other delicious low-carb desserts.
Other Keto Fruits
Keto-friendly fruits include strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and coconut meat.
Other Healthy Foods You Cannot Eat On The Keto Diet
- Sweet Potatoes: though they’re considered more nutritious in comparison to white potatoes, sweet potatoes have too many carbs for a keto diet. A 100g serving of sweet potatoes has a whopping 20 grams of carbohydrates.
- Quinoa is widely considered to be a healthier alternative to rice, but it’s just as unsuitable for keto. According to nutrition information from the USDA, ½ cup of cooked quinoa contains all of 17 grams of net carbs.
- Yogurt is surprisingly high in carbs, especially when sweetened or combined with fruits. For a keto-friendly way to enjoy this dairy product, stick to Greek yogurt, which has less than 5 grams of carbs per 3.5oz
- Black Beans, like other legumes, are considered a wholesome source of plant-based protein and fiber. At the same time, black beans are loaded with 13g of net carbs in a ½ cup serving.
- Oranges (and their juice) are a healthy source of vitamin C and antioxidants, but their sugar content makes them
- Chickpeas are a healthy ingredient used in many vegan recipes. Though they provide a host of nutritional benefits, they’re also super high in net carbs, with as much as 32 grams per cup of cooked garbanzo beans. Instead of whole chickpeas, satisfy your craving with hummus, which is quite keto friendly.
- Brown Rice may be more nutritious than white rice, but it’s quite similar in terms of carb content. A ½ cup serving contains 23 grams of net carbs, which may be enough to erase your keto progress.
What Fruits Can I Eat on A Keto Diet?
While most fruits are not keto-friendly, there are still a few that you can enjoy on a keto diet.
- Tomatoes (Yes they are fruits)
Which Apples Have the Least Carbs?
Red apples like fuji, gala and red delicious have the highest carb content, ranging from 18-21 grams.
Green and yellow apples are a bit lower, but still too much for a keto diet. For example, a golden delicious apple has 15 grams of net carbs and a Granny Smith apple has 16 grams.
Is Apple Crisp Keto?
Traditional apple crisp and apple crumble are high in carbs, making them unsuitable for a keto diet. For a low-carb keto version, swap apples for chayote squash, which has a similar texture.
For a more authentic taste, just add a few drops of apple extract.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- chayote squash
- stevia or other keto sweeteners
- lemon juice
- apple extract
- xanthan gum
- almond flour
- shredded coconut
- coconut oil
(Note: Full recipe is at the bottom of the post)
How to Make Keto Apple Crisp
- First, you’ll want to prepare the filling. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, then mix in the chayote squash. Add a splash of water, cover the pan and allow it to cook until the squash has softened, which should take around 7 minutes. Uncover the pan and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Once the filling is ready, transfer it to your baking dish and bake for 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare your topping by combining the ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Take the filling out of the oven and spread the crisp topping evenly over the top. Bake for another 8-10 minutes, until the topping is golden brown. Allow your apple crisp to cool for 10 minutes before digging in.
How to Store Keto Apple Crisp
Keto Apple Crisp can be stored in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for six months.
Before storing it in the refrigerator, remember to keep it covered. For longer-term freezer storage, use an airtight container.
Are Granny Smith Apples Low Carb?
Green apples like granny smith are lower in carbs than red ones, but they’re still unsuitable for keto. Though they have less sugar, the net carbohydrate content is still quite high.
How Many Carbs Are In A Green Apple?
You can expect 25 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fiber from a typical medium-sized green apple.
You May Also Like
- Best Apple Desserts (Easy and Delicious)
- Is Cauliflower Keto (Net Carbs, Total Carbs and Popular Keto-Friendly Recipes)
- How Many Carbs In An Avocado (Are Avocados Keto)
Keto Apple Crisp Recipe
Keto apple crisp filling
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted
- 7 cups chayote squash chopped to small cubes
- 2 tablespoon water you can add more if needed
- 2 teaspoons stevia or other keto sweeteners
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon apple extract
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup almonds chopped
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 ½ teaspoons stevia
- Start by preheating your oven to 350°F/180°C and greasing your baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, then add the cubes of chayote and the water. Using medium-low heat, allow the ingredients to simmer for 8 minutes. The squash should be tender when tested with a fork. Continue simmering for another 3 minutes.
- Remove the chayote squash filling from the saucepan, transferring it to a lined baking dish. Let it bake for 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, you’ll be getting the topping ready.
- Add the chopped almonds, flour, coconut, oil and stevia to a mixing bowl and stir. Remove the filling from the oven and top with the chopped almond mixture. Return the baking dish to the oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Allow your apple crisp to cool for 10 minutes before you serve it.
Leave a Reply