These Easy Griddle Cakes (Griddle Pancakes) are light and fluffy – a classic breakfast food that calls for a few simple ingredients. This recipe provides step-by-step instructions for cooking the batter on an electric griddle. You can serve them with maple syrup, jam, or fruits for a delicious meal!
Drizzle some maple syrup and serve them with scrambled eggs and bacon for the perfect breakfast. You can also top them with yogurt or fresh fruit if you’re looking for a healthy treat. Here are more ideas for easy pancake toppings.
Don’t let the names confuse you: griddle cakes and pancakes are basically the same thing. They’re the fluffy, flat, and small round cakes that are cooked on a griddle.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Unsalted Butter
- Vanilla Extract
How to Make Griddle Cakes from Scratch
- Mix dry ingredients
Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients
In another medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Combe dry and wet ingredients, and add butter
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until just barely combined. Then whisk in the melted butter until smooth.
- Pour the batter onto the hot griddle
Heat the electric griddle to 375 F. Pour the batter onto the hot surface in 1/4 cup amounts per griddle cake, spaced about 2 inches apart to allow for spreading.
- Cook the first side until bubbles appear
Let the pancakes cook until bubbles appear on the surface and the pancakes are golden brown underneath, roughly one minute.
- Flip and cook the other side
Flip the pancakes and cook on the other side until golden, about for 30 to 60 seconds. Remove to a wire rack until serving. Serve and enjoy!
- Measure the flour properly: Spoon the flour into the measuring cup, and then use the straignt back of a knife to level off the top of the flour. Do not shake the cup or pack down the top or you’ll end up with too much flour.
- Use baking powder for extra fluffy griddle pancakes: The baking powder helps release air into the batter, which produces lighter and fluffier pancakes. Make sure to pour the batter immediately after mixing for the best texture.
- You can make them ahead and freeze the pancakes: Wrap the griddle pancakes in aluminum foil or place them inside a freezer bag. To reheat the frozen pancakes, microwave for 1 minute on high or bake for 10 minutes in the oven at 350ºF.
The secret to perfect pancakes is getting the temperature right. If it’s too hot, you’ll end up with a burned surface and an uncooked center. If the temperature is too low, the pancakes can be tough and flat. So make sure your griddle has reached 375ºF before cooking the batter.
You can use the regular pancake batter for griddle cakes. You may add other ingredients such as mashed banana or mixed berries to kick it up a notch.
One common misconception about making pancakes is to flip them as soon as you see bubbles. Wait until the bubbles pop and form tiny holes before flipping the pancake. This will also allow the pancakes to cook properly and let the under-side cook to a beautiful golden brown color.
- Cinnamon Griddle Cakes: A dash of cinnamon gives your pancakes a spicy fall flavor that is sure to warm you up from the inside.
- Cornmeal Griddle Cakes: Replace wheat flour with cornmeal for a gluten-free alternative that tastes and looks just as good.
- Oatmeal Griddle Cakes: Looking for a healthier breakfast? Stir oats into the batter for a much-needed boost of fiber and protein.
Baking powder gives pancakes that fluffy texture we all love. So we don’t recommend omitting this ingredient.
Eggs help bind the batter together, and give your griddle cakes that fluffy texture. If you don’t want to use eggs, you can replace them with applesauce, mashed bananas, or ground flaxseeds.
Griddle cakes can be refrigerated for up to 5 days or stored in freezer for up to 2 months. If you prefer to freeze them, make sure to place a sheet of wax paper between each pancake. You may also wrap them in aluminum foil or place them inside a freezer bag.
The Presto electric griddle is our favorite panckage griddle. The nonstick surface provides stick-free cooking and makes cleanup a breeze. The surface area is big enough for you to cook multiple pancakes at once.
You May Also Like
- 16 Best Griddle Recipes That Are Easy to Make
- How to Make Fresh Corn Pancakes
- 21 Easy Breakfast Sandwich Recipes
Best Fluffy Griddle Cakes / Pancakes Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Serving Ideas (Optional)
- Maple syrup
- Cinnamon sugar
- Fresh fruit
Prepare the Batter
- Preheat an electric griddle to 375 F (medium-high) heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until just barely combined. Then whisk in the melted butter until smooth.
Cook the Griddle Cakes
- Test the griddle is hot enough: a few droplets of water should dance on the surface and disappear within a second or two.
- Pour batter onto the hot surface in 1/4 cup amounts per griddle cake using a ¼ cup measuring cup, spaced 2 inches apart to allow for spreading.
- Let the pancakes cook until bubbles appear on the surface and the pancakes are golden brown underneath, about one minute.
- Flip the pancakes and cook on the other side until golden, about for 30 to 60 seconds. (If in doubt, check the center of one cake is cooked through.)
- Remove to a wire rack until serving. Enjoy with optional maple syrup or your favorite toppings.