Sushi is a delicious Japanese dish made of vinegared sushi rice, seaweed sheet, and other ingredients like seafood and vegetables. We’ve collected 27 of the Best Sushi Recipes that are easy to make at home.
Spicy Tuna Sushi Roll
This is a classic Japanese sushi roll – smooth, creamy, and fiery spicy. Nori seaweed sheet is filled with seasoned sushi rice, avocado, and sashimi-grade tuna that’s tossed in sriracha spicy mayo. This hand roll recipe takes about 15 minutes from start to finish once the sushi rice is ready.
Dragon Roll (Shrimp Tempura Roll with Avocado Topping)
Shrimp tempura is so crispy and addictive! Pair it with avocado for an unbelievable flavor combo.
This simple sushi roll is made with seasoned sushi rice and bits of creamy avocado, rolled in nori.
California Roll Sushi
This popular sushi roll is made with imitation crab meat, cucumber and avocado. Make it at home for a light lunch.
Cooked pieces of seafood such as shrimp or salmon are rolled with sushi rice, vegetables and creamy avocado. The spicy lava topping gives this sushi roll its name.
Spicy Crab Roll Sushi
This popular sushi roll is creamy, satisfying, and fiery spicy. The kani crab stick is shredded and then seasoned with sriracha spicy mayo, then wrapped in nori seaweed sheets and seasoned rice. These simple sushi rolls take about 15 minutes to make once the sushi rice is ready. I’ll share with you the secrets on how to roll perfect sushi with step-by-step photos.
Nori is a necessary ingredient for maki, uramaki and temaki sushi. This is dried seaweed sold in thin, dark green sheets.
Easy Vegan Sushi
This plant-based sushi roll is easy to make and so tasty. Swap fish for tofu and enjoy this vegan friendly uramaki.
Crunchy Roll Sushi
The crunchy roll is like a California roll with lots of texture. Get ready for crunchy shrimp tempura and a toasty breadcrumb topping.
Rainbow Roll Sushi
This is one of the most popular sushi items at many Japanese restaurants. It’s uramaki sushi with the rice on the outside, covering seaweed nori, and filled with creamy avocado and imitation crab. Atop the rainbow sushi roll is a colorful assortment of fresh fish such as salmon, tuna, yellowtail, together with slices of avocado. This roll is a great way to sample many types of fish at once.
Philadelphia Roll (Smoked Salmon Sushi)
Delicious smoked salmon, cream cheese and cucumber are wrapped in nori and rice for this delicious sushi roll.
The caterpillar roll is just like the unagi roll, but with a tasty avocado topping.
Cooked Tuna Sushi
Did you know that you can use canned tuna in sushi? This recipe is quick, easy and healthy.
Spicy Salmon Roll
This salmon sushi is made with your favorite salmon tossed in spicy sriracha mayo, then rolled in nori seaweed sheet and fluffy sushi rice! You can easily customize the roll by adding other delicious ingredients like avocado or cucumber. It’s so much cheaper than the restaurant or takeout.
There’s no meat in these rolls. Enjoy homemade veggie sushi filled with ingredients like carrots, bell peppers and cucumbers.
Deep Fried Sushi Rolls
These sushi rolls take tempura to the next level. The entire roll is smothered in a homemade tempura batter before being deep fried to crispy perfection.
Spider Roll Sushi
Soft-shell crab tempura, cucumber and carrots make up this cooked sushi roll. Enjoy with soy sauce and wasabi.
In Japan, oshinko is a crispy pickled vegetable such as radishes or cucumbers. Wrap these veggies in rice and nori and you’ve got oshinko sushi.
Boston Roll (Cooked Shrimp Sushi)
Tender pieces of parched shrimp, slightly-sweet avocado and crunchy cucumber make up this Boston roll. Garnish with tobiko or masago if you’re feeling fancy.
Eel Sushi (Unagi Sushi Roll)
Unagi sushi is made with BBQ eel and cucumber, then drizzled with a sweet and spicy unagi sauce.
Salmon Skin Roll
Seafood lovers will truly enjoy this epic sushi roll featuring crispy salmon skin.
Here’s a simple, low-calorie sushi roll featuring fresh, crunchy cucumber, pickled carrots and creamy avocado. Perfect for vegetarians!
Sweet Potato Sushi Roll (Maki Roll)
Roasted sweet potatoes are an unexpected, yet delicious ingredient in this vegan-friendly sushi toll.
Futomaki are jumbo-sized sushi rolls that are so satisfying to make and eat! These rolls feature a thicker layer of sushi rice for a more filling roll.
Japanese octopus sushi, or Tako nigiri is a traditional Japanese sushi roll that consists of a small ball of seasoned sushi rice topped with slices of sashimi-grade octopus. The rice and octopus are held together by a thin strip of nori.
Tamago Nigiri Sushi (Cooked Egg Sushi)
Tamago sushi is a sweet and savory fluffy Japanese omelet atop seasoned sushi rice. Enjoy this sushi at breakfast time.
The Best Sushi Pizza
Sushi pizza is like an unrolled temaki. You’ll need a triangle of nori topped with cooked sushi rice and all your favorite toppings such as avocado and smoked salmon.
Best Sushi Recipe Collection
For the Sushi Rice
- 1 cup sushi rice uncooked short-grain sushi rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoons optional sushi vinegar or mixing 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon sugar
For the Avocado Roll
- 2 avocados ripe but still firm
- 2 sheets nori seaweed sheet
Optional for Serving
- sesame seeds
- unagi sauce
Cook Sushi Rice
- Rinse the sushi rice and add it to the rice cooker. Add water and cook according to the instructions. (You can also cook it in a regular saucepan on the stovetop.)
- Once cooked, transfer the rice to a large bowl and let it cool down slightly. When it’s still very warm, stir in the sushi vinegar (or the mixture of rice vinegar and sugar).
Slice the Avocado
- Cut the avocado lengthwise until your knife has reached the pit.
- Gradually rotate the avocado in a straight line until your knife has reached the starting point.
- Rotate the avocado halves, twisting gently and separate the two sections.
- Place the avocado on a cutting boarding. Hold it with one hand, and then tap the back edge of a knife into the pit. Twist and then lift the pit straight up to remove.
- Peel off the skin. Then cut the avocado into thin slices lengthwise (about 1/3 inch).
Make Avocado Rolls
- Lay out the bamboo mat with a piece of plastic wrap on top. This will prevent the rice from sticking to the bamboo.
- Fold the nori sheet in half and split using a pair of scissors.
- Place half of the nori sheet on top of the bamboo mat, shining side facing down.
- Take 3/4 cup of cooked rice and spread it over the nori sheet evenly using your hands. (Dip your hands in Tezu vinegar water to prevent sticking.)
- Flip everything so that rice is facing down.
- Place 4 slices of avocado pieces on top of the nori.
- Place the thumbs underneath the bamboo mat and lift the edge up and over the filling.
- Roll the bamboo mat away from you and apply some pressure to tighten it up. Keep rolling until the ends meet.
- Remove the mat and plastic wrap. Then slice the roll into bite-size pieces. Sprinkle with optional sesame seeds. Serve and enjoy!
- Tezu water for dipping hands: Mix together 1/4 cup water and 2 teaspoons rice vinegar.
- Make sure to use the ripe avocado that’s still firm for the best results.
- To prevent sushi rolls from falling apart, you’ll need to squeeze the rice and filling while rolling. Once you finish, gently squeeze the roll one more time.
Leave a Reply