When it’s time to get the party started, it’s hard to find a more effective way than shots. Named after a snake, the Water Moccasin shot is a staple at clubs and college parties due to its simple, accessible ingredients.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Even if you have zero bartending experience, you’ll find it quite easy to whip up this fruity, tangy cocktail. Why not make a few glasses at home for a fun game night with the squad?
What Is A Water Moccasin Shot?
Just like the snake, the Water Moccasin Shot has a sharp bite. This shot can be created with just four simple ingredients – whisky, peach schnapps, triple sec, and sweet and sour mix. The inexpensive, accessible ingredients make this shot an easy way to kick off a night of fun. With its fruity taste, this shot can even be poured over ice and sipped as a cocktail.
What Does A Water Moccasin Shot Taste Like?
The Water Moccasin Shot is quite smooth, thanks to the whiskey. It’s also fruity, sweet and citrusy because of the peach schnapps.
What’s In A Water Moccasin Shot?
- Peach Schnapps: This fruity liqueur adds a lovely flavor to your cocktail.
- Whisky: Crown Royal whisky is often used in this shot, but go ahead and use your preferred option.
- Sweet and Sour Mix: Make your own sweet and sour mix by combining equal parts lemon/lime juice and simple syrup. You may also purchase bottled sweet and sour mix wherever bar supplies are sold.
- Triple Sec: This orange-flavored liqueur is a popular addition to many cocktails. Triple sec can be found online or in most grocery stores.
How To Make Water Moccasin Shot
1. Add ice to a cocktail shake.
2. Add Peach Schnapps, Whisky, Sweet and Sour Mix, and Triple Sec.
3. Shake well.
4. Strain the mixture into shot glasses.
Tips For Making It Ahead
- If you’re hosting a party, you can make these shots ahead of time by mixing the ingredients in a cocktail shaker or mason jar. Strain out the ice and store the drink in the fridge.
- When you’re ready to serve, put the finishing touches on these shots by adding lemon sugar to the rim of the glasses. Combine lemon zest with sugar on a plate. Dip the rim of the shot glasses in simple syrup, then dip them in the lemon sugar mix.
What Kind Of Whisky Is Best For Water Moccasin Shot?
Crown Royal whisky is a popular choice for this shot because of its inexpensive price tag. For a drink like this, you don’t want to be using your top-shelf whisky. Johnnie Walker Red Label is another affordable option that is suitable for this shot. Save your higher-end whisky for drinking neat or on the rocks.
Equipment You’ll Need To Make This Drink
- Cocktail shaker: this bartender’s tool is the best way to ensure your drink is properly mixed. If you don’t have one, you can use a mason jar with a lid, or just combine the ingredients with a cocktail stirrer or a spoon.
- Shot Glasses: of course you can drink these shots out of any cup, but to have it as an actual shot, you’ll need to use shot glasses.
- If you don’t have store bought sweet and sour mix, here’s an easy DIY version. Mix together equal parts lemon juice, lime juice and simple syrup.
- Most bartenders use Crown Royal Canadian whiskey to make this drink, but you can use whichever brand of smooth whiskey you have on hand. Other brands include Jameson, Johnnie Walker and Jack Daniel’s.
Homemade Sweet And Sour Mix
You can use store-bought sweet and sour mix, but it’s so much better to make it yourself. Homemade sweet and sour mix uses fresh, natural ingredients that improve the taste of your drink. Simply mix together equal parts simple syrup and lemon/lime juice and voilá.
Water Moccasin Shot with Pineapple Juice
Pour a Water Moccasin Shot (or two) into a tumbler of pineapple juice for a fruity, whisky-based cocktail that’s easy to make at home.
Water Moccasin Shot with Red Bull
When you need to party all night, enjoy your Water Moccasin Shot with a can of Red Bull or other energy drink.
What Alcohol is In A Water Moccasin Drink?
The water moccasin drink requires 4 different types of alcohol:
- Whiskey: most bartenders use Royal Canadian whiskey, but feel free to use your preferred brand, or whatever you have on hand. The shot tastes just as good with Jameson of Jack Daniel’s.
- Peach Schnapps: the fruity, peachy flavor is one of the most notable aspects of this drink. Thanks to peach schnapps, the water moccasin is a light and refreshing shot, perfect for a summer party.
- Triple sec: this orange-flavored liqueur adds a citrusy flavor to the drink to complement the sweetness of the peach schnapps.
- Sweet and sour mix: this mix helps to balance out the strong taste of the whiskey.
Water Moccasin Shot vs. Green Tea Shot
Though they are quite similar, the Water Moccasin shot is not the same as the Green Tea shot. The Green Tea shot is made using whisky, peach schnapps, sweet and sour mix, then topped with a splash of lemon-lime soda such as Sprite.
More Shot Recipes
If you tried this recipe, let me know how your Water Moccasin Shot turns out in the comments below!
Water Moccasin Shot Recipe
- 1 oz Peach Schnapps
- 1 oz Whisky (I recommend using Crown Royal Canadian Whisky)
- 1 oz Sweet and Sour Mix (or make your own by mixing ½ oz of lime juice and ½ oz of simple syrup)
- 1 dash Triple Sec
- Gather together all the ingredients. If using a homemade sweet and sour mix, you’ll need to make it first.
- Add ice to a cocktail shaker.
- Then add Peach Schnapps, Whisky, Sweet and Sour Mix, and Triple. Shake well.
- Strain the mixture into shot glasses. Serve and enjoy!