This Margarita on the Rocks combines sweet, sour and salty into one delicious cocktail you’ll want to enjoy again and again! They’re undeniably refreshing and set the mood for summertime parties, Cinco de Mayo and backyard cookouts. Best of all, there’s no need to head to a bar or a Mexican restaurant to get a taste!
The margarita is an iconic cocktail that you’ve probably had a few times before. Thanks to innovative mixologists over the years, there are endless ways to enjoy this mixed drink. Whether you like it frozen, fruity, or even spicy, there’s a margarita to suit every palate.
Still, nothing beats a classic. The origins of this drink are up for historical debate, but there’s no doubt about the OG margarita recipe: tequila, orange liqueur and lime juice. Add some sweetener to balance out the tartness and some ice to keep things cool. Finally, serve in a salt-rimmed glass and garnish with a lime wedge. Get ready to make your best margarita ever!
What is Margarita on the Rocks?
To have a drink ‘on the rocks’ simply means that it’s served over ice. Even though you’ll be adding ice to the cocktail shaker, you’ll also be serving the drink with ice to make sure it’s extra chilled and refreshing.
What Glass is a Margarita on the Rocks Served in?
If you want to get technical, margaritas are traditionally served in margarita glasses. These glasses have long, thin stems topped by a wide bowl. Margaritas are also commonly served in rocks glasses (also known as a lowball glass). For homemade margaritas, just use whatever you have on hand – they’ll still taste just as good!
What’s the Best Alcohol to Use in A Margarita?
Without a doubt, an authentic margarita is made using tequila. Though you can use vodka in a margarita, mixology purists will tell you it’s tequila or bust.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Tequila: What’s a margarita without tequila? Ask for silver tequila (also known as tequila blanco) at the liquor or grocery store. Popular brands include Patrón and Don Julio.
- Fresh Lime Juice: For the very best margarita, we recommend using fresh lime juice. If you’re looking for more convenience, store-bought lime juice can be used.
- Cointreau: Cointreau is an orange liqueur that’s a staple ingredient in a margarita. Though the original margarita recipe features Cointreau, any other orange liqueur will do.
- Sweetener: To balance the tartness of the limes, you’ll need to add a sweetener. You can use simple syrup, honey or agave nectar. Make your own simple syrup by stirring sugar into room temperature or lukewarm water.
- Ice: This refreshing drink is best served ice cold.
- Salt & Lime wedges: The finishing touches are just as important as the core ingredients. Be sure to salt the rim of your margarita and garnish with a fresh lime wedge.
How to Make Margarita on the Rocks
1. Rub a piece of lemon slice around the rim of the serving glass, and immediately dip the rim into a salt bowl or plate at about a 45-degree angle.
2. Set it aside while you prepare the drink.
3. Squeeze some lemon juice in a juicer.
4. In a cocktail mixer, add ice, tequila, Cointreau, the lemon juice and syrup.
5. Cover the mixture and shake for 20 seconds.
6. Pour the mix into the serving glass set aside and garnish with a lime wedge.
Tips & Tricks
Want to make a bartender-approved margarita? It’s much easier than you think!
- Before you begin, prepare your glasses by salting the rims. Pour some salt into a small plate and use a lime wedge to moisten the rim of the glass before dipping it into the salt.
- Set your glasses aside and begin adding your ingredients to the cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously for 20 seconds.
- Do a taste test. If it’s too tart, add more sweetener. If it’s too sweet, add more lime juice. Not strong enough? Top up the tequila!
- Strawberry Margarita on the Rock: Adding bright, juicy berries to a margarita is a no-brainer! Blend frozen strawberries, tequila, Cointreau, and lime juice in a blender and combine until it’s smooth.
- Frozen Margarita: With a frozen margarita, ice is blended up with the other ingredients for a refreshing, slushie texture. To a blender, add ice, tequila, Cointreau, lime juice and your choice of sweetener. Pour and enjoy!
You May Also Like
- 27 Best Tequila Cocktails (Easy Tequila Drink Recipes)
- Matcha Lemonade (Starbucks Copycat Recipe)
- Best Lemon Drop Shots
Margarita on the Rocks Recipe
- 2 oz silver tequila (also known as blanco tequila)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 1 oz Cointreau
- 1 teaspoon sweetener (or to taste, you can use simple syrup, sugar or agave nectar)
- ice cubes
- salt and lime wedges, for rimming the class
Salt the rim
- Fill a small bowl or plate with salt.
- Rub a piece of lemon slice around the rim of the serving glass and immediately dip into the salt. Set aside.
Make the margarita mix
- In a cocktail shaker, add ice, tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, and syrup.
- Shake for about 20 seconds.
- Give it a taste and add more syrup or other ingredients if needed.
- Fill the rimmed glass 3/4 full of ice.
- Pour the mixture into the glass.
- Garnish with lime wedges. Serve and enjoy!
- Dip the rim into the salt immediately after rubbing the lemon slice around the rim, so that the salt can stick to the glass.
- You can customize the level of sweetness of your drink. Start with less amount of syrup and slowly add more. Taste and adjust for the perfect flavor.