Learn how to steam broccoli in the microwave so that it comes out perfect every time – and only takes less than 5 minutes. It’s a simple recipe for microwave broccoli (and other vegetables).
Steaming broccoli in a microwave is faster and easier than other methods. I’ve always had steamed broccoli this way, made in the microwave. It’s bursting with flavor with bright green color. Plus, cleanup is a breeze!
HOW TO STEAM BROCCOLI IN THE MICROWAVE
- Clean your broccoli and cut the stalk away from the crown. Break the crown apart into big florets and then slice the florets into bite-sized pieces. If you like to eat the steams, you can peel the skin and cut them into thin slices.
- Place florets pieces directly into a microwave-safe bowl, and then add about 3 tablespoons of cold water. For one head (about 1 pound of broccoli), use 3 tablespoons of water.
- Cover with a microwave-safe lid. I usually use a ceramic plate that can cover my bowl completely.
- How long to steam broccoli in the microwave depends on the size of your florets and the power of your microwave. Cook on high power for 3 minutes. Test for doneness and repeat at 30 second intervals until the broccoli is tender.
- Remove the lid so that it can stop steaming. Be careful as the steam can be very hot.
Some topping ideas include: toss with butter, drizzle with soy sauce, or sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Clean broccoli with vinegar and water
The best way to clean broccoli is to use vinegar water mixture (1:3 ratio between vinegar and water). Soak the broccoli in the mixture for 5 minutes and it will ensure no insects stay lodged inside the florets. Rinse it well under cold tap water afterwards.
Is Microwave Broccoli Healthy?
Yes. Cooking broccoli in the microwave is actually healthier than the boiling method as no nutrients are lost in the boiling water.
How to Store Leftover Broccoli
You can store the leftover in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge.
Cooking other vegetables using this method
Microwaving vegetables is a quick and easy way to prepare your side dishes. You can use the same method on almost any vegetables such as cauliflowers, Asian broccoli and carrots.
- 1 large head broccoli about 1 pound
- 3 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper
- lemon optional
Clean your broccoli thoroughly. Cut the stalk away from the crown. Slice the florets into bite-sized pieces.
Add florets into a microwave-safe bowl, and then add water.
Cover with a microwave-safe lid.
Cook on high power for 3 minutes. Test for doneness and repeat at 30 second intervals until the broccoli is tender.
Remove the lid so that it can stop steaming. Be careful as the steam can be very hot.
Transfer the broccoli to a plate.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Serve with lemon wedges and enjoy.
More Side Dishes You’ll Love
View All Side Dishes