Learn how to steam broccoli in the microwave with a quick step-by-step tutorial so that it comes out perfect every time. It’s less than 5 minutes and is a simple side dish recipe for microwaving broccoli (and other vegetables). It’s made without a steamer.
Steaming broccoli in a microwave is faster and easier than other methods. I’ve always had steamed broccoli this way, made in the microwave. It’s bursting with flavor with bright green color. Plus, cleanup is a breeze!
Did you know you can cook so many delicious foods in the microwave, some of my favorites include Microwave Sweet Potatoes, Microwave Salmon, and Microwave Hot Dogs.
Benefits Of Steaming Broccoli In The Microwave
Microwaving broccoli is much faster than traditional steaming methods, which can take up to 15 minutes. In the microwave, broccoli can be steamed in just 3-5 minutes. In addition, there are several more benefits:
- Retains more nutrients: Steaming is one of the best ways to cook broccoli because it helps to retain its nutrients. Microwaving broccoli in a small amount of water can help preserve its vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C and folate, which can be lost when boiling or frying.
- Preserves the color better: Microwaving broccoli allows it to retain its vibrant green color.
- Preserves the flavor better: This is because it is cooked quickly and not overcooked, which can cause it to become mushy and lose its taste.
How To Steam Broccoli In The Microwave
All you need is fresh broccoli, water, and a microwave-safe bowl.
Step 1: Clean Your Broccoli And Cut The Stalk Away From The Crown
Break the crown apart into big florets and then slice the florets into even bite-sized pieces. If you like to eat the stems, you can peel the skin and cut them into thin slices.
Step 2: Add The Broccoli To The Bowl
Place florets pieces directly into a microwave-safe bowl, and then add cold water. For one head (about 1 pound) of broccoli, use 3 tablespoons of water.
Step 3: Cover With A Microwave-Safe Lid
I usually use a ceramic plate that can cover my bowl completely.
Step 4: Microwave The Broccoli
Microwave on high power for 3 minutes. Test for doneness and repeat at 30-second intervals until the broccoli is tender. How long to steam broccoli in the microwave depends on the size of your florets and the power of your microwave.
Remove the lid so that it can stop steaming. Be careful as the steam can be very hot.
Tips And Tricks For The Perfect Microwaved Broccoli
How Long Does It Take To Steam Raw Broccoli Florets In Microwave?
It depends on the size of your florets and the power of your microwave. Start with 3 minutes and add 30-second intervals until the broccoli is cooked through.
Broccoli is a quick and easy side dish that’s a great pairing for so many dinners such as Chicken Breast, Teriyaki Chicken Bowls, and Crock Pot Pork Shoulder.
How To Store Leftover Broccoli
You can store the leftover in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge.
How To Reheat Steamed Broccoli
Leftover steamed broccoli can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. After the broccoli has cooled, transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge.
How To Freeze Cooked Broccoli
After the broccoli has cooled, transfer to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. Broccoli can be safely stored for over a year, but tastes best when it’s defrosted and eaten within 9 months.
How To Steam Broccoli In Microwave Without A Steamer
You can easily prepare steamed broccoli in the microwave. Add the florets to a microwave-safe bowl and pour in enough water to ensure they’re completely submerged. Microwave on high for 2½ to 4 minutes for tender broccoli without a steamer.
Tupperware For Steaming Broccoli Microwave
Choose tupperware that is microwave-safe and can withstand high temperatures. Some of our favorites are the CrystalWave Steamer or the Vent ‘N Serve containers.
In addition, we recommend using the one with a lid.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Microwave Broccoli Healthy?
Yes. Cooking broccoli in the microwave is actually healthier than the boiling method as no nutrients are lost in the boiling water.
How Long to Microwave Frozen Broccoli?
If you use frozen broccoli, you can follow the steps above, and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Test for doneness and repeat at 30-second intervals until the broccoli is as tender as you like it.
Do I Need to Add Water When Microwaving Broccoli?
Yes, it’s best to add cold water to your broccoli when microwaving. For 1 pound of broccoli, you’ll need about 3 tablespoons of water.
Can I Microwave Broccoli in A Ziploc Bag?
Yes, simply place the cut broccoli florets into a ziploc bag or other microwave-safe plastic bag. See the bag about 3/4 of the way across. It’s important to leave a small gap for the steam to escape. Cook on high for about 3 minutes.
Can I Steam Broccoli and Cauliflower Together in A Microwave?
Cauliflower and broccoli have similar cooking times, so feel free to steam them together in the microwave. Both of these veggies are low in calories and carbs, while providing lots of vitamins and minerals.
Microwave Other Vegetables
Microwaving vegetables is a quick and easy way to prepare your side dishes. You can use the same method on almost any vegetable such as cauliflowers, Asian broccoli, and carrots.
Microwave Broccoli Recipe (+VIDEO)
- 1 large head broccoli about 1 pound
- 3 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper
- lemon optional
- Clean your broccoli thoroughly*. Cut the stalk away from the crown. Break the crown apart into big florets and then slice the florets into even bite-sized pieces. (If you like to eat the stems, you can peel the skin and cut them into thin slices.)
- Add florets into a microwave-safe bowl, and then add water.
- Cover with a microwave-safe lid or a ceramic plate that can cover the bowl completely.
- Microwave on high power for 3 minutes. Test for doneness and repeat at 30-second intervals until the broccoli is tender.
- Remove the lid so that it can stop steaming. Be careful as the steam can be very hot.
- Transfer the broccoli to a plate.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Serve with optional lemon wedges and enjoy.
- *The best way to clean broccoli is to use vinegar-water mixture (1:3 ratio between vinegar and water). Soak the broccoli in the mixture for 5 minutes and it will ensure no insects stay lodged inside the florets. Rinse it well under cold tap water afterward.
More Side Dishes You’ll Love
View All Side Dishes
This technique worked perfectly! It’s great for those times when you’re entertaining and the oven and burners are in use! Thank you!!
Thank you, Liz.
Renee Goerger says
I love cooking my broccoli this way! So fast and easy!
Thanks Renee. Glad you like it!
Seems like frequently I’m eating rice and broccoli almost every night along with my entre. Sick of washing so many pans, this made my life a little easier. Thank so much.