Teriyaki Chicken Bowls Recipe is a quick and easy Japanese dinner that can be made within 15 minutes. Tender chicken is tossed with sweet, savoury, and garlicky teriyaki sauce and then served with rice and steamed broccoli. No marinading needed! It’s better than takeout from your favorite Asian restaurant!
Teriyaki bowl is chicken breast seared in a skillet with teriyaki sauce and then served with rice and vegetables. It’s so quick to prepare and perfect for busy weeknight dinners. If you have sous vide machine at home, you can also try our Sous Vide Teriyaki Chicken. You can also use this for meal prep as it lasts for 4 days in the refrigerator.
The homemade sauce is addictive and so much better than any store-bought bottles. You will want to drizzle it on everything including the rice and steamed broccoli!
Chicken Teriyaki Sauce Ingredients
The best part of the teriyaki chicken bowl recipe is the sauce! It’s made of a few simple ingredients you probably already have on hand:
- Soy Sauce: (I recommend using low-sodium)
- Optional ginger or ginger powder
How to Make Teriyaki Chicken Bowls
- Sear cubed chicken breasts until golden brown.
- Make chicken teriyaki sauce and add it to the pan. Cook with the chicken until the sauce thickens.
- Mix the chicken with sauce thoroughly.
- Serve cooked chicken on top of steamed rice in a bowl with broccoli.
Quick and easy! Teriyaki chicken rice bowl will be on your dinner table in no time!
Can I Make it Ahead?
Yes, this recipe is great for meal prep and it reheats well. Store it in an airtight container and it’ll last for 4 days in the refrigerator.
Is Teriyaki Bowl Healthy?
This homemade recipe is much healthier than the restaurant version. It’s best to use low-sodium soy sauce to reduce the salt intake. You can also cut down the amount of honey or sugar to make it even healthier.
How to Serve Teriyaki Chicken?
Tips for Making the Best Teriyaki Bowl
- Both chicken breasts and chicken thighs work for this recipe. Cube them into 1-inch pieces for quick cooking.
- You can also use mirin and sake to make authentic teriyaki sauce if you have them. Use 1:1:1 ratio among soy sauce, mirin and sake. Add sugar according to your personal taste.
- Serve it over rice for teriyaki chicken rice bowl. Or you can cook pineapple with your chicken for teriyaki chicken pineapple bowl. For a healthy recipe you can serve with lettuce wraps or brown rice.
If You Like this Recipe Try these Out:
Teriyaki Bowl Recipe (+VIDEO)
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breasts cubed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons honey (or sugar)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- optional 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- steamed rice
- Mix together soy sauce, honey, vinegar, garlic, cornstarch, and optional ginger powder in a small bowl.
- Heat a large pan on medium-high heat. Add oil.
- When the oil is hot, add chicken breasts. Fry for about 3 minutes per side (5-6 in total) until golden brown.
- Add teriyaki sauce to chicken and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat. Serve the chicken on top of rice in a bowl with steamed broccoli. Enjoy!
- Nutrition info doesn’t include broccoli or steam rice.