Crock Pot Pork Shoulder is an easy “dump and go” recipe – a flavorful and fall-apart pork shoulder roast slow cooked to perfection with barbeque sauce and spices. Shred your pork after it’s cooked and make it into delicious crock pot bbq pulled pork recipe. Serve on sandwiches or tacos for a complete dinner or take it to picnic!
SLOW COOKER PORK SHOULDER RECIPE
Slow cooker pulled pork shoulder is the best and easiest way to cook pork shoulders. Just season the meat with an easy dry rub, place it in a slow cooker, add BBQ sauce and onions in the morning before you leave home. Let the slow cooker simmer all day long and turn it into an incredible meal!
This recipe calls for a few simple ingredients and is much less work than other cooking methods such as baking or braising on the stove.We usually shred the slow cooked pork and turn it into pulled pork sandwiches. It’s super tender, juicy and melt-in-your-mouth delicious.
HOW TO COOK PORK SHOULDER IN A CROCK POT
- Trim large chunks of fat and remove the skin if necessary. Rinse and then dry well with paper towel.
- Make a simple dry rub by mixing together garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Then massage the seasoning right into the meat.
- Add the sliced onion to the bottom of the crockpot with the pork shoulder roast nestled on top.
- Add BBQ sauce.
- Cover with lid and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- After the pork has cooked, remove the pork to a cutting board or plate and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Shred with 2 forks to pull the meat apart. You can add more barbeque sauce!
Crockpot pork is now ready! Good news is that it’s great for keto diet with low carbs. It is also gluten-free and paleo if you use the right bbq sauce.
HOW LONG SHOULD I COOK PORK SHOULDER IN A CROCK POT
To make this pork shoulder roast in a slower cooker, I recommend cooking it for 8 hours on a LOW heat setting. Keep the lid covered.
If you need it to be done sooner, you can cook it on HIGH for 5-6 hours.
WHAT KIND OF PORK IS BEST FOR COOKING IN THE CROCK POT?
Tough cuts of meat are best for cooking in a slow cooker as high amounts of collagen break down and then tenderize the meat during the lengthy cooking process.
Pork shoulder is the best for cooking in a slow cooker, and ideal if you plan to make pulled pork. It’s also called pork butt or Boston butt. Both bone-in and boneless pork shoulder roast work well for this recipe. You can use pork loin or pork tenderloin if you are in a pinch, but they are less moist so make sure don’t overcook them!
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST CROCK POT PORK SHOULDER
- You don’t have to sear your pork roast. I’ve tried both ways, and browning the pork shoulder before slow cooking doesn’t make much difference. So it’s not worth the effort.
- No need to add any liquid to the slow cooker. There will be enough liquid that the pork shoulder gave off while cooking in the crockpot.
- Customize the sauce to your own preference. Swap out the bbq sauce for your favorites, and you can also use drinks such as coke, beer or Dr. Pepper. I have used pineapple juice and my Hawaiian pulled pork was delicious!
- To reduce the fat in the sauce, you can use a spoon to skim some of it off the surface when it’s chilled.
- This crock pot bbq pork shoulder could be made ahead up to 3 days.
What to Serve with Crock Pot Pork Shoulder
Can I Cook Pork Shoulder with Vegetables?
Yes. Vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms are great choices.
Should I Remove Skin from Pork Shoulder Before Slow Cooking?
Yes, you need to remove the skin as it doesn’t crackle in the crockpot. To remove the skin, make a cut across one part of the shoulder and pull the skin, slice between the meat and fat to remove.
Can You Overcook Pork Shoulder in a Slow Cooker?
If you keep your slow cooker set to “LOW”, it’s almost impossible to overcook it, as the pork shoulder self-bastes and stays moist. But the “HIGH” setting will boil the meat and you can overcook it if you cook it for too longer.
Can You Cook Frozen Pork Shoulder in a Slow Cooker?
No, the USDA advises not to cook frozen meat in the slow cooker, as there’s the risk of harmful bacteria contaminating the meat before it reaches a safe temperature. It’s best to thaw your pork shoulder in the refrigerator completely before cooking it in a slow cooker.
Crock Pot Pork Shoulder
- 3 pounds pork shoulder boneless or bone-in
- ½ large onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce
Remove the skin and trim off large chunks of fat from your pork shoulder if necessary. Rinse and then dry well with paper towels.
In a small-medium sized bowl, mix together garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
Rub the seasonings into the pork roast.
Add the sliced onion to the bottom of the crockpot.
Add seasoned pork shoulder roast on top.
Pour in your favorite BBQ sauce.
Cover with the lid and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until fork tender.
After the pork has cooked, remove it to a cutting board or plate and let it rest for 15 minutes.
Shred with 2 forks to pull the meat apart. Add more bbq sauce if you prefer.
Serve warm with buns or tacos.
- Leftover pork shoulder can be stored in airtight container in the fridge for 5 days, and can be frozen for up to 2 months.
- If your pork shoulder is frozen, you need to thaw it in the fridge completely before adding it to the slow cooker.