This Easy Microwave Cauliflower Rice recipe makes light and fluffy cauliflower rice in just a few minutes. It’s a keto-friendly and low-carb twist on takeout fried rice. No need to buy frozen cauliflower rice as you can easily make them at home from scratch!
So what is cauliflower rice? It’s simply cauliflower florets grated into tiny granules that are about the size of rice. Cauliflower “rice” or “couscous” is a nutritious and low-carb rice alternative. It’s also paleo and Whole30 compliant.
Does it taste like rice? Sort of, but not exactly. It’s tender and has the right amount of chew, like rice. It’s delicious when you mix it with other vegetables and some proteins such as eggs and shrimp.
Making cauliflower rice in a microwave is faster and easier than other methods. Plus, you don’t have to add any fat, making it the healthiest way to eat cauliflower rice. I’ve always had steamed cauliflower this way, made in the microwave. It’s bursting with flavor and you can pair it with proteins such as Baked Chicken Breasts, Sous Vide Sirloin Steak, or Crock Pot Pork Shoulder for a keto-friendly meal.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Cauliflower: It’s best to use fresh cauliflower and grate your own cauliflower rice. Alternatively, you can buy a bag of frozen cauliflower rice. Trader Joe’s is a popular brand.
- Mixed vegetables fresh or frozen
- Salt and pepper
- Sesame oil
How to make microwave cauliflower rice
This microwave version is super easy. I will share with you a few tricks to getting light, fluffy microwave cauliflower rice EVERY TIME. You will never buy frozen bags of cauliflower rice in stores again!
There are two convenient ways to “rice” or shred cauliflower. I like to use a box grater with medium-sized holes. Or you can use a food processor with the grater blade. The goal is to get pieces the size of rice.
Pro tips for preventing soggy cauliflower rice
The key to the best cauliflower rice is to squeeze out any excess moisture from the “rice” before cooking. Transfer the riced cauliflower to a large paper towel or kitchen towel, and then squeeze to remove water. This step helps to prevent your cauliflower rice from getting soggy when cooked.
How long to steam cauliflower rice in the microwave?
Once you have the riced cauliflower, simply steam it in the microwave for a quick side dish to substitute it for regular rice.
Place it in a microwave-safe dish, and cover with a lid or plastic wrap. Cook on high for 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Steamed cauliflower rice is the simplest basic recipe and then you can add variations to it for more flavors. You can use the same method to steam other vegetables such as Microwave Broccoli.
How to cook microwave cauliflower rice with vegetables and eggs?
As cauliflower rice tastes bland on its own, you can add other vegetables, proteins, and seasonings to make it extra tasty. It can soak up flavors incredibly well just like white rice. My favorite way to add more flavor to this dish is to cook it with vegetables and eggs, turning it into flavorful microwave-fried cauliflower rice!
First mix the riced cauliflower, carrots, and peas in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 2 minutes on high. Then add the beaten egg on top, microwave on high for 45 seconds. The egg is only half-cooked at this point. Mix it the vegetables, and microwave for another 45 seconds to 1 minute until eggs are fully cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
How long does cauliflower rice last?
It’s best to use the freshly riced raw cauliflower right away, as it can develop an unpleasant funky smell quickly in the fridge.
For the cooked cauliflower rice, you can let it cool to room temperature and store it in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Can you freeze cauliflower rice?
Yes, you can freeze cauliflower rice in the freezer for up to 1 month. It’s best to freeze it after squeezing out the moisture and before cooking. Break up the rice into smaller portions and store it in freezer-friendly zip-top bags (make sure to press out as much air out as possible to avoid freezer burn). You will have a fantastic nutritious and low-carb ingredient on hand any time!
If You Like This Recipe Try These Out
If you tried this recipe, let me know how your Microwave Cauliflower Rice turns out in the comments below!
Easy Microwave Cauliflower Rice Recipe
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 2 cups mixed vegetables fresh or frozen (I used diced carrots and peas)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil optional
- chopped green onion optional
- Wash the cauliflower with cold water and use paper towels to dry it. Remove all greens.
- If using a box grater, cut the cauliflower into large chunks and use the medium-sized holes to grate it into pieces the size of rice. If using a food processor, cut the florets into 2-3 inch pieces, and grate the cauliflower.
- Transfer the rice to a large paper towel or kitchen towel, squeezing to remove any excess moisture. This process will prevent your rice from becoming soggy when cooked.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, add cauliflower rice, diced carrots, and peas. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and cook on high for 2 minutes.
- Beat the eggs in another bowl, and add it on top of the cauliflower rice. (Don’t mix at this point.)
- Cover with the lid or plastic wrap, and microwave on high for 45 seconds (the eggs will be half-cooked at this point).
- Mix the egg with the cauliflower rice and other vegetables. Microwave for another 45-60 seconds until eggs are fully cooked.
- Season with salt, pepper, and optional sesame oil. Mix well.
- Sprinkle with chopped green onions. Serve and enjoy!
- If you’d like to steam plain cauliflower rice, just place it in a microwave-safe container and cook on high for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- A medium cauliflower head (1 pound) will give you about 4 cups of cauliflower rice.
Editor note: Originally published Nov 28, 2019 and updated Feb 28, 2021.