This post may contain affiliate links.
Please read my disclosure policy.
The easiest Bisquick Strawberry Shortcake made with original Bisquick pancake mix! Featuring fluffy Bisquick shortcakes layered with delicious strawberries and fresh whipped cream, this light and sweet biscuit recipe calls for a few simple ingredients. A perfect summer dessert that’s sure to please everyone!
The Easiest Strawberry Shortcake Recipe with Bisquick Mix
Using a Bisquick baking mix as a shortcut ingredient is a trick for a quick and flaky treat. You don’t need a long list of ingredients and no worries about leavening agents. Just whisk the pancake mix with sugar, milk, and butter, and you’ll get the perfect biscuit dough! It’s a fun and simplified version of the classic shortcake recipe.
Bisquick mix is such a great time saver, and this strawberry shortcake recipe is great for spring and summer holidays like Easter, Mother’s Day, Memorial Day, and Fourth of July. If you like this recipe, check out our Strawberry Icebox Cake recipe too!
Ingredients & Substitutes
- Bisquick Baking Mix – I like the Original Bisquick Mix the best! If you don’t have Bisquick, you can use other pancake mixes.
- Butter – You’ll need to melt the butter before adding it to the mixture. You can also sub melted coconut oil for a vegan option.
- Milk – I used the regular whole milk. You can sub unsweetened almond milk for a dairy-free version.
- Sugar – Use regular granulated sugar for this recipe.
- Fresh Strawberries – Cut them into thin slices for a beautiful presentation. Mix them with sugar for the easiest strawberry filling.
- Heavy Cream – Use heavy cream or whipping cream with more than 30% fat. It will stand up in peaks and hold up for several hours without losing its shape. Make sure it’s chilled before making the whipped cream.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds the subtle flavor of vanilla to the whipped cream.
How to Make Shortcake Using Bisquick Mix
Step 1: Prepare the Strawberry Filling (Macerated Strawberries)
- Cut each strawberry into thin slices lengthwise into 4-6 pieces.
- Mix the sliced strawberries with sugar. Mix and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
Step 2: Make the Bisquick Shortcakes
- Make the dough: Whisk together the Bisquick mix and sugar. Then add the milk and melted butter and stir until a soft dough forms.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions. Shape the balls and bake at 425°F for 10-12 minutes or until golden. (If you’d like to save time, you can just “drop” the dough onto the baking sheet, and it’s normal to have the biscuits in different shapes and sizes.)
Step 3: Make the Whipped Cream
- Mix together heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Beat until soft peaks form.
Step 4: Assembly
- Slice the cakes into two pieces horizontally with a knife.
- Top the base layer of the cake with whipped cream and strawberries. Place the top layer of the cake and add more whipped cream and strawberries.
Tips for the Perfect Bisquick Shortcake
- Use high-quality fresh strawberries. You’ll only need 2 ingredients for the strawberry filling: fresh strawberries and sugar. It’s best to make the filling before you make the biscuits so that the strawberries have extra time to juice up.
- Don’t overmix the dough. Stir the Bisquick mix, sugar, butter, and milk until combined and a soft dough forms.
- Tips for shaping the biscuits: divide the dough into equal parts first. Then shape them into small balls. Press them down gently before baking. Make sure the dough is thicker than 1 inch so that the baked biscuits are nice and tall.
- Homemade whipped cream uses only 3 ingredients: heavy cream, sugar and vanilla extract. Don’t use too much sugar as the strawberry filling is also sweet. This whipped cream tastes so much better than store-bought. It’s so creamy and refreshing. Keep the bowl and whipping cream chilled before beating for the best results.
- Make it fun for everyone to assemble their own strawberry shortcakes! You can prepare a dessert bar – let everyone add the preferred amount of whipped cream and strawberries.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Does Strawberry Bisquick Shortcake Taste Like?
These shortcakes are light, fluffy, and flaky. Layered with creamy whipped cream, and sweet strawberries. They taste just like the classic strawberry shortcakes.
Can I Make It Ahead?
You can make the shortcakes in advance and store them in an airtight container. They can last for up to 2 days at room temperature. The whipped cream can be made an hour or two ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator. Don’t make the strawberry filling in advance. Mix the berry with the sugar about 15 to 30 minutes before serving the dessert.
Is Pancake Mix The Same As Bisquick Baking Mix?
It’s ok to replace Bisquick mix with other pancake mixes for this recipe.
How Many Calories Does Each Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits Have?
Each shortcake has about 430 calories. You can reduce the amount of whipped cream and use less sugar in the strawberry filling if you’d like to cut calories.
If You Like This Recipe Try These Out
If you tried this recipe, let me know how your Bisquick Strawberry Shortcakes turn out in the comments below!
Easy Bisquick Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
For the Bisquick Shortcake
- 2 1/3 cups Bisquick mix (I used the Original Bisquick Mix)
- 3 tablespoons butter melted (you can also use coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup milk (you can sub almond milk, unsweetened)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
For the Strawberries
- 3/4 lbs strawberries (use fresh strawberries)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (sub stevia for a healthier version)
For the Whipped Cream
- 3/4 cups heavy cream (chilled)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make Macerated Strawberries (Strawberry Filling)
- Wash the strawberries and cut each into 4 to 6 slices lengthwise.
- Place the sliced strawberries in a mixing bowl, and add sugar.
- Gently mix and then cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 15-30 minutes.
Make the Shortcakes
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Set aside a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (You can also use a cookie sheet, and grease it with butter)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the Bisquick mix and sugar. Add the milk and melted butter and stir until a soft dough forms. (Make sure not to over mix it)
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions. Shape them into nice round balls, and then gently pat the ball down a bit (don’t flatten it to less than an inch thick or your shortcake will be too thin).
- Transfer the shaped balls to the baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Remove the cakes from the oven, and let them cool on a rack.
Make the Whipped Cream
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Beat the cream using an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Slice the cakes horizontally with a bread knife.
- Top the base layer of the cake with whipped cream and strawberries.
- Place the top layer of the cake and top with more whipped cream and strawberries. (Feel free to garnish with mint if desired.) Serve and enjoy!
- Make it vegan: Replace butter with coconut oil.
- Make it dairy-free: Swap out the milk with almond milk.
- The process of mixing the sugar with the strawberry is called macerating. The sugar draws the juices out of the strawberries, producing a delicious fruity syrup. It’s best to make the macerated strawberries before making the biscuit for some extra delicious juices. But avoid macerating it for too long as the strawberries can become watery and limp.
- You can add 1 teaspoon orange liquor (optional) to the strawberry filling for some extra delicious flavor.