If you love the flavor of crispy, fried tortillas, you have to try taco dorados! This popular Mexican dish is easy to make in your own kitchen and is sure to become a family favorite!
What is Tacos Dorados?
Tacos Dorados are crispy tacos that are typically made with corn tortillas. They’re often filled with shredded chicken, ground beef, or cheese, and are then pan-fried until hot, crispy, and delicious.
Is Taco Dorado a Taquito?
A taquito, which is a rolled taco, is a regional dish that’s similar to tacos dorados. Depending on where you are in Mexico, you may also find flautas, another similar dish.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Corn Tortillas
- Ground Beef
- Taco Seasoning
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Shredded Lettuce
How to Make Tacos Dorados
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Brown the ground beef, onion, and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked through. Add the taco seasoning and chopped cilantro.
- Add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the skillet and stir until the cheese melts.
- Brush corn tortillas with oil on both sides of each tortilla.
- Place the tortillas in the oven at 400°F for about 3 minutes and then transfer to a work surface.
- Add the meat mixture to the center of each tortilla.
- Fold each tortilla over the meat filling and press firmly to securely close the tortillas before frying.
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat at medium-high until the oil is shimmering.
- Place a few folded tacos into the skillet in one single layer, adjusting the temperature until the oil is sizzling around the edges of the tortillas.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on the first side until golden brown and crispy on the edges. Carefully turn with a spatula or tongs and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Remove the fried tacos to a plate lined with paper towels and pat both sides with additional paper towels. Repeat until all of the tacos are cooked. Serve with diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, and shredded lettuce. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Taco Dorados
- Warm the tortillas before assembling the tacos: They’ll be more pliable and won’t break as easily. You can opt to roll the tortillas like taquitos or fold them in half.
- Keep the meat filling in the center of the tortilla. If it’s too close to the edge, the meat may fall out when the tortilla is cooking.
- Place the cooked tacos on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
Use your favorite taco toppings or try something new! Here are some suggestions:
- Shredded lettuce – iceberg and romaine offer a nice crunch and hold their texture well
- Crumbled queso fresco – for a bit of salty tanginess
- Consome – a tasty and traditional topping
- Salsa Guajillo or Chile De Arbol – or choose your favorite hot sauce
- Mexican Crema or sour cream – adds a nice creamy texture and tempers some of the heat
- A squeeze of fresh lime juice – it brings out the flavors!
What to Serve with Tacos Dorados?
Crispy Tacos Dorados Recipe
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef
- ½ tablespoon garlic minced
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- ½ cup chopped cilantro – optional
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- cooking oil
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 to matoes diced