Green Drink and Blue Drink are my new favorite Starbucks rainbow beverages from the secret menu. Now you can make this refreshing Green Drink at home easily at the fraction of the price. It’s made with iced black tea, matcha green tea powder, and coconut milk – smooth, creamy, and delicious!
I love Starbucks colorful summer-themed drink. This beautiful green drink is one of my favorite iced beverages to order, along with Pink Drink, Blue Drink, and Yellow Drink. If you like my Iced Pineapple Matcha Drink, you’ll love this tea-based green drink.
What is Green Drink?
The Green Drink and Blue Drink were a later addition to the Starbucks rainbow-themed beverages, after Pink Drink, Purple Drink, and Orange Drink.
It looks similar to a regular Iced Green Tea Latte, but it’s a completely different recipe as it contains iced black tea and uses coconut milk instead of milk, keeping with the same theme from the rest of the rainbow-colored drinks.
What’s in a Green Drink?
- Iced Black Tea: I used the English Breakfast Teabag for this recipe. Just add boiling water to the teabag, let it steep for 3 to 5 minutes, and then chill in the refrigerator. It adds caffeine to the drink.
- Coconut Milk: It adds a silky richness and creaminess to this drink. Coconut milk beverage works better than canned coconut milk if you’d like to avoid the solid chunky lumps of the white stuff. I like to use unsweetened coconut milk so that I can control the sweetness level.
- Matcha Powder: I recommend using fresh matcha powder for the best flavor and bright green color. Old green tea powder has less flavor and dull green color. You can buy them at the local grocery store or order online from Amazon.
- Simple Syrup or Sugar: You can customize this drink with your preferred sweetness level with simple syrup, sugar, or honey. For a healthier option, use Stevia to sweeten your drink. (Or use Stevia for a healthy keto version.)
Pro Tip: Matcha powder should be stored in the refrigerator once it’s opened. To make it last longer, place it into a ziptop bag, squeeze all of the air out, and store the bag inside an airtight contaiiner.
How to Make the Green Drink at Home
1. First, prepare the black tea. Pour hot water over the black tea bag. Steep for 3-4 minutes. Then let it chill in the refrigerator.
2. Add 1/4 cup of the black tea to matcha powder. Mix very well until the matcha powder is completely dissolved.
3. In a medium jar, pour in the black tea and matcha powder mixture.
4. Add coconut milk, and mix until combined.
5. Sweeten with simple syrup or sugar to your desired sweetness level.
6. Fill a glass 3/4 full of ice. Then pour in the mixture. Serve and enjoy immediately.
Tips & Secrets for the Best Green Tea Drink
- Make sure to steep your black tea to let the flavor develop. Then let it chill until it’s cold before making the drink.
- The color of your drink depends on the ratio among the ingredients. If you prefer a darker green color, you can add in more matcha powder.
- If you’d like to make this drink more healthy, use Stevia to replace simple syrup.
How to Order a Green Drink from the Secret Menu at Starbucks?
To order the “Green Drink” at Starbucks, simply ask your barista for a blend of iced black tea, green matcha powder, and coconut milk.
Is Green Drink Healthy?
The green drink is one of the healthier beverages out there. Matcha green tea powder is high in antioxidants and coconutmilk is rich in fiber, vitamin B and C, and minerals. When making it at home, you can use less sugar and make it even healthier!
What Does a Green Drink Taste Like?
Matcha green tea has a more prevalent flavor in this drink. Coconut milk is subtle in taste. It’s not as sweet as a Pink Drink, but you can adjust the sweetness level easily when making it at home.
Does the Starbucks Green Drink Have Caffeine in it?
Yes, this drink has caffeine in it and will give you a boost of energy.
If You Like this Recipe Try These Out:
If you’ve tried this green drink, leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!
Starbucks Green Drink Recipe (+VIDEO)
- 1 black tea bag (Use 1 cup of hot water to make the tea but you’ll only need to use 1/4 cup of the chilled tea for this recipe.) I used English Breakfast tea.
- 1.5 cups coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons matcha green tea powder
- 2 tablespoons simple syrup (or sugar to taste)
- ice cubes
- Place the black tea bag in a cup and add hot water.
- Let the tea steep for 3-4 minutes and chill in the refrigerator.
- In a small bowl, pour 1/4 cup of the chilled black tea over matcha powder. Mix for a few minutes until the powder is completely dissolved. (I used only 1/4 cup of the black tea for this recipe as I don't want the black tea flavor to be overwhelming. This also helps to make the drink have vivid green color. If you love black tea, feel free to use up the entire cup of the tea, but you won't get the same color as you see on this post. It will become brownish-green.)
- Pour in coconut water, and mix well.
- Add simple syrup. Stir to combine. (Add syrup or sugar gradually until it reaches your desired sweetness level).
- Fill a glass 3/4 full of ice. Then pour in the mixture. Serve and enjoy immediately.
- You can make the black tea ahead of the time and then let it chill until it’s cold before making the drink.
- The color of your drink depends on the ratio among matcha powder, coconut milk, and black tea. If you prefer a darker green color, you can add in more matcha powder. Adding more black tea will make your dink turn brownish-green.
- For a healthier drink, use Stevia to sweeten your beverage.
Leave a Reply