Make a delicious Very Berry Hibiscus Refresher at home! This Starbucks copycat recipe gives you all the refreshing flavor and beautiful color of the store-bought iced beverage at the fraction of the price. It’s incredibly easy to make this tea-based drink and you can easily customize it with lemonade or coconut milk!
Featured on 15 Best Starbucks Refreshers
Recently many people noticed that Very Berry Hibiscus Refresher is not available at some locations. If you are a fan of Very Berry Hibiscus or violet drink, you can easily re-create a version at home, made from scratch, with the incredible flavor that tastes just like the one from Starbucks! This very berry hibiscus copycat recipe is Fast. Simple. Delicious.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Hibiscus Tea Bags: Hibiscus tea gives this drink a beautiful red color while adding a tart, cranberry-like hibiscus flavor. You can order the tea bags online from Amazon or buy them at Whole Foods. You can also substitute dried hibiscus flowers.
Blackberries: I used fresh blackberries for this recipe, but you can also use freeze-dried whole blackberries.
White Grape Juice: It adds a refreshing, sweet, and crisp flavor to the drink. It’s available at your local grocery stores. You can substitute other juice such as lemonade.
Green Coffee Extract: Green coffee beans are not roasted and taste differently than traditional coffee. You can order green coffee bean powder or pill online from Amazon. If you use the coffee bean pills, you’ll need to pop them open and use the powder from the capsules. You can substitute green tea if you want your drink to have caffeine in it, or skip this ingredient and it won’t affect the flavor.
How to Make a Very Berry Hibiscus Drink at Home
1. Pour hot water over the hibiscus tea bag.
2. (Optional) Add green coffee powder and mix.
3. Steep the tea for 5 minutes. Then let it chill.
4. In a medium jar, add white grape juice and chilled hibiscus tea. Mix well.
5. Fill a glass halfway with ice and pour the mixture into the glass.
6. Add blackberries to garnish. Serve and enjoy immediately.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to steep your hibiscus tea to let the flavor develop. Then let it chill until it’s very cold before making the drink.
- Your drink will have a vivid deep red color if you use white grape juice. If you use coconut milk instead, your drink will become creamy with the violet color.
- Add lemonade to your drink to turn it into a very berry hibiscus lemonade refresher.
Very Berry Hibiscus with Lemonade
If you love lemonade, you can replace the white grape juice with lemonade. Depending on the lemonade you use, you’ll need to adjust the amount slightly to thin out the flavor.
Very Berry Hibiscus with Coconut Milk: Violet Drink
You can make this beverage with coconut milk. It’s called “violet drink” when the coconut milk is mixed in. Simply replace white grape juice with coconut milk beverage. It’s best to use the one in a carton instead of canned coconut milk. If you use unsweetened coconut milk, you’ll need to add simple syrup or sugar to the drink.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Starbucks Very Berry Hibiscus Tea Healthy?
Very berry hibiscus is one of the healthiest options at Starbucks compared to other high sugar drinks they sell. When making it at home, you can use the higher-quality ingredients for an even healthier drink.
Does a Very Berry Hibiscus Refresher Have Caffeine?
It’s a fruity iced drink laced with the “natural energy” from the green coffee extract. But if you make it at home, you can skip the green coffee extract and make this drink completely caffeine-free.
How Many Calories Does It Have?
According to Starbucks, a grande (16-oz) Very Berry Hibiscus Refresher has 120 calories, a tall cup has 90 calories, and venti has 170 calories.
How Much is a Very Berry Hibiscus at Starbucks?
A Tall of the regular Very Berry Hibiscus refresher is $3.99; Grande is $4.49; Venti is $4.99 and $Trenta is $5.29. The lemonade version and violet drink version are more expensive. So it’s much cheaper to make it at home if you drink it very often.
Other Starbucks Copycat Recipes You’ll Like:
Very Berry Hibiscus Refresher Recipe (+VIDEO)
- Place the hibiscus tea bag in a cup and add hot water.
- (Optional) Add the green coffee extract to the tea. (If you use the coffee bean pills, you’ll need to pop them open and use the powder from the capsules. You can skip this ingredient and it won’t affect the flavor.)
- Let the tea steep for 5 minutes and chill in the refrigerator.
- In a medium jar, add white grape juice and chilled hibiscus tea. Mix well.
- Fill a glass halfway with ice and pour the mixture into the glass.
- Add blackberries to garnish.
Editor note: Originally published June 30, 2020 and updated August 23, 2020.