Try this copycat recipe of the popular Starbucks drink – Iced Caramel Cloud Macchiato! Airy, foamy, full of delicious espresso and vanilla flavor, then topped with buttery caramel sauce. This Starbucks cloud macchiato recipe is not to be missed!
I’ve got great news for you! Now you can skip the drive to Starbucks and make your own cloud macchiato at home for a fraction of the cost! I’ll show you how to make both iced cloud macchiato and hot cloud macchiato.
First things first.
What is Cloud Macchiato?
Cloud Macchiato is a twist on the original Caramel Macchiato sold in Starbucks. It’s made with espresso and fluffy whipped cold foam, then topped with caramel sauce, adding a delicious layer of sweetness, available both hot and iced! It comes in 2 flavors: caramel and cinnamon, and both have a smooth and creamy texture with a meringue-like foam that fills half of the cup!
Ingredients and Substitutes
- Espresso: You can use Starbucks Espresso Coffee Beans or other coffee beans you have at home. Alternatively, you can use instant coffee mix (or even decaf if you prefer). If you use the mix, make sure to dilute it with less water so that it’s very concentrated.
- Milk: It adds a touch of sweetness enhancing the flavors of the espresso.
- Egg White Powder: This is the secret ingredient that gives an airy and frothy crown to this drink. You can find the meringue egg white powder at most grocery stores or order online from Amazon.
- Icing Sugar: You’ll need to mix the egg white powder with icing sugar and water to create a fluffy cloud texture.
- Vanilla Extract: It adds the subtle and delicious flavor of vanilla to the drink.
- Caramel Sauce: You can use store-bought or homemade caramel sauce. Caramel ice cream topping also works.
How to Make Iced Cloud Macchiato at Home
1. Prepare the espresso using an espresso machine. (You can also use a very strong regular coffee.) Add the espresso to a glass or mug.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add egg white powder, icing sugar, vanilla extract, and water. Beat on medium speed until foamy using a hand mixer.
3. Add ice cubes to the glass.
4. Pour in espresso and milk.
5. Gently pour the egg white powder foam into the glass.
6. Top with caramel sauce. Serve and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- It’s important to beat the egg white mixture long enough until it becomes thick and foamy.
- Turn this drink into Cinnamon Cloud Macchiato by mixing cinnamon in the drink and adding a dusting of ground cinnamon on top of the caramel sauce.
- Add toffee nut syrup into the drink and turn it into Cocoa Cloud Macchiato.
Hot Cloud Macchiato
This recipe can be easily modified to hot cloud macchiato. Simply skip the ice and pour the hot espresso into the glass, then add milk and egg white foam. Add topping and serve immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Cold Foam?
Cold foam is different from steaming milk which we use for a latte or cappuccino. It’s more of a meringue. To create a similar texture as the one from Starbucks, we mix together egg white powder, icing sugar, and water. We also added vanilla extract for the extra flavor. It produces a thick foam that can be well layered on top of the espresso. But if you’re allergic to eggs, it’s not for you.
What Does Caramel Cloud Macchiato Taste Like?
Caramel Cloud Macchiato is creamy, frothy, and slightly sweet, tingled with a light coffee flavor.
Does a Caramel Cloud Macchiato Have Caffeine?
Yes, the caffeine comes from the espresso. If you prefer a caffeine-free drink, you can use decaf coffee.
What is the Difference Between a Caramel Macchiato And a Caramel Cloud Macchiato?
Cloud macchiato is a twist on the original caramel macchiato. While caramel macchiato is made with espresso and steamed milk, caramel cloud macchiato is made with espresso and fluffy whipped cold milk foam. They both are topped with caramel sauce.
How Many Calories Does It Have?
According to Starbucks, a grande (16-oz) Cloud Macchiato has 280 calories, a short cup has 140 calories, a tall cup has 210 calories and a venti has 350 calories.
Was the Cloud Macchiato Discontinued?
Starbucks discontinued the caramel cloud macchiato for a short time in 2020. Cloud powder shortages and difficulties in making the drink caused the discontinuation. However, in 2022, Starbucks brought back the cloud macchiato as the cocoa cloud macchiato.
Espresso Machine Recommendations
If you make espresso or latte a lot, it’s worth investing into a good espresso machine. Here is the one I use and I like it a lot.
More Starbucks Drink Recipes
If you tried this recipe, let me know how your cloud macchiato turns out in the comments below!
Caramel Cloud Macchiato Recipe
For the Cold Foam (Cloud)
- 1 tablespoon egg white powder
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons water
Iced Macchiato Drink
- 1/2 cup espresso
- 2 tablespoons milk
For the Topping
- caramel sauce for topping
- Prepare the espresso using an espresso machine. (You can also use a very strong regular coffee.) Chill the espresso in the refrigerator.
- In a large mixing bowl, add egg white powder, icing sugar, vanilla extract, and water. Beat on medium speed until foamy using a hand mixer.
- Fill the glass 1/2 full of ice cubes.
- Pour chilled espresso and milk into the glass.
- Gently pour the egg powder foam into the glass.
- Top with caramel sauce. Serve and enjoy!
- To make hot cloud macchiato: Simply skip the ice and pour the hot espresso into the glass, then add milk and egg white foam.
Yoaa Parent says
Great recipe! It worked out perfectly and tasted just like the real thing!
Yoaa, glad to hear that! Thank you so much for letting me know!
Where do you find Icing sugar? Can you leave a link. Thanks
Hi Jordan, you can order it online from amazon. Here is the link: https://amzn.to/3wTxRij
Icing sugar is just another name for powdered sugar, you can find it at any grocery store.