Is there anything better than the smell of freshly BBQ’d hamburgers or hotdogs? Summer cookouts are full of enjoyable moments, great memories, and delicious food! Below you will find 20 Easy Cookout Side Dishes to bring to your next gathering and feed as many people as you like!
What are Good Sides to Bring to a Cookout?
Are you headed to a summer cookout and tasked to bring a side dish? Unsure of what to bring? Well, the first thing you’ll want to consider is the number of people you need to serve. The more people, the bigger the dish! Opt for a salad with choices like Fruit Salsa, BLT Pasta Salad, or a Creamy Potato Salad. If you’re in a bit of a rush, no worries! Both Corn on the Cob and French Fries are quick, easy, and go a long way!
What Sides Go with Hamburgers and Hotdogs at a Cookout?
Are you simply looking for a side to serve with your hamburgers and hotdogs for your family? You’ll be happy to know that there are many options available. The classic choices are pasta or potato salad. However, if you want to step outside of the box a little, choose creamy Mac n Cheese, Coleslaw, or even a Watermelon Feta Salad.
The Best Cookout Side Dishes
Easy BBQ Sides for Cookout
- Corn on the cob: If you want to boil your corn on the cob to perfection, then stop here! This recipe will walk you through making an easy corn side dish. Just be sure to have that warm butter and salt ready to enjoy all this corn has to offer.
- Fruit Salad: The best way to enjoy your favorite fruits all at once! This recipe takes mango, strawberries, kiwi, and pineapple and makes one colorful dish! Plus, you’ll even get tips on how to make a delicious cinnamon chip for dipping.
- Creamy Mac n Cheese: Have you ever had mac n cheese made in a crockpot? Or tried a recipe created by a country singer? Here you will get to try both! It’s a creamy dish that goes well with so many BBQ dishes.
- Creamy Coleslaw: It’s not just your typical coleslaw dish, it’s Southern-style, and it’s creamy! With just 5 minutes of prep and 5 minutes of cooking time, you’ll be able to enjoy this sweet and tangy slaw!
- Creamy Potato Salad: Passed from generation to generation, this potato salad is a must-try! With miracle whip as the secret ingredient here, you’ll enjoy a nice twist on a traditional recipe!
Best Summer Side Dishes
- Pasta Salad: It’s a BLT without the bread! This pasta salad is filled with crunchiness, creaminess, and a whole lot of freshness! You’ll be in awe of the color and in love with the taste!
- Mashed Potatoes: Who doesn’t love a dish that’s quick and easy? These mashed potatoes are ready in just 15 minutes! They’ll turn out creamy, fluffy, and incredibly smooth! Garnish with a bit of parsley, and you’re good to go!
- Grilled Corn Salad: Quite possibly, the best summer salad that’s perfect for any gathering is corn salad. Simply toss cooked corn, avocados, tomatoes, and arugula with a light honey-lime dressing.
- Watermelon Feta Salad: Your taste buds are in for a treat with this one! Watermelon feta salad combines ingredients that you would never think of putting together! It’s refreshing, healthy, and incredibly delicious!
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad: With a bit of crispiness in every bite, this Mediterranean quinoa salad stays fresh for up to 4 days! It has just enough in it to keep it light and healthy but hearty enough to fill you up! Plus, you’ll even get a recipe for the salad dressing here!
Southern Cookout Side Dishes
- Corn Nuggets: The perfect side dish, appetizer, or dessert, these corn nuggets are quick and easy! If you’re a fan of corn fritters or corn dogs, then you will definitely love these! Drizzle with some honey or even dip in some ketchup!
- Baked Beans: A protein dish that’s just as tasty as it is healthy! You can even make it hearty by adding in some bacon and onions. These baked beans are warm, sweet and smokey! Plus, they only take 10 minutes to prepare!
- Fried Okra: Forget your regular bread coating and try out this fried okra with a cornmeal coating. With just 10 minutes of prep, you’ll be able to enjoy a crunchy and flavorful dish that is full of texture!
- Collard Greens: A staple Southern dish, collard greens are incredibly tasty with the right seasonings. The trick to this delicious dish is the amount of garlic used! Plus, you can skip the long boiling times and enjoy this dish with just 15 minutes of cook time.
Other Popular Cookout Sides for Parties
- Fried Rice: If you’ve been to Benihana, then you’re familiar with their fried rice. In this copycat recipe, all you need is a few ingredients and less than 10 minutes to prep. You’ll be able to enjoy this recipe in the comfort of your own home.
- Steamed Broccoli: A quick and easy side dish that pops with color! With this recipe, you’ll be able to steam broccoli perfectly! Plus, this dish is filled with protein, Vitamin C and is excellent for Keto diets.
- Air Fryer Asparagus: Here’s your chance to use that Air Fryer that’s been collecting dust on your shelf. Keep it out because you’ll want to make this dish over and over again. With this recipe, you’ll be able to make asparagus crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- French Fries: If you’re on a roll and want to keep cooking with your air fryer, then try these French fries. Cooked from frozen, they’re ready in just 15 minutes! Just grab your favorite dip and enjoy!
- Red Cabbage Slaw: A healthy side dish that tastes as good as it looks! Full of color and flavor, this red cabbage slaw doesn’t require any mayo or sugar! Perfect for those who are vegan and paleo.
- Chipotle Fajita Veggies: Yes, these are exactly like the fajitas you get at Chipotle. Full of vegetables and flavor – this dish gets its kick from the cayenne pepper. The great thing about this recipe is that you can switch up the ingredients to your preference.
You May Also Like
20 Easy Cookout Side Dishes (Best Fajita Veggies Recipe & More)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 green bell peppers sliced
- 1 large red onion sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt to taste
- Add oil to a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Heat until the oil is very hot.
- Add sliced bell pepper and red onions.
- Stir fry and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add oregano and salt to taste. Stir and cook for about 2 more minutes until the veggies are slightly softened. Serve and enjoy!