This is the BEST way to cook frozen French fries in the Air Fryer! It’s perfectly golden and crisp on the outside and fluffy and tender inside. Dip into your favorite sauce and the result is always amazing!
The perfect air fried French fries
We are back on the Air Fryer bandwagon today with one of my favorites: quick and easy Air Fryer Frozen French Fries. I promise you, if you learn how to cook frozen French fries in the Air Fryer, you’ll never go back!
I used to make frozen French fries by baking them in the oven as I’d like to avoid deep frying. But the fries alway turn limp like noodles! . After making it in the air fryer, I find it’s so much easier and is the BEST WAY to cook frozen French fries. Healthier, Faster, and Better. When I served them at a party, my guests said they were better than McDonald’s and KFC!
They are a great side dish and a staple pairing to a satisfying and juicy burger!
Only 3 ingredients needed to make Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
Cooking frozen French fries in the air fryer is completely effortless. There’s no need to add oil so you only need to mix the fries with salt and black pepper if they are not pre-seasoned:
- Frozen French fries
- Freshly ground black pepper
I love my Ninja Air Fryer which is versatile and reliable. Mine has 4-quart capacity, and I cooked my 1-pound frozen French fries in two loads to avoid overcrowding.
How to make air fryer frozen French fries
- Start by seasoning with salt and pepper. (You don’t need to thaw the fries first.)
- Spread the frozen French fries in the air-fryer basket evenly and overlapping as little as possible. (You will need to make a few batches if your air-fryer is not big enough.)
- Cook at 400ºF for 10-15 minutes, gently stirring and flipping the fries half way through. Cook until golden brown and crispy. Season with salt once more if necessary.
As you can see, the fries turned golden brown and crispy after 13 minutes. You can simply serve them as is or pair with your favorite mains.
Here are some tips for cooking frozen French fries in the Air Fryer:
- Don’t thaw your frozen fries. I recommend keeping them completely frozen before using. This guarantees that the surface of the potato fries is sealed during the cooking process, resulting in a crispy, high quality fry.
- The exact cook time will depend on the thickness of your fries and how full your air fryer is. I cooked mine for 13 minutes, and the edges just started to turn brown. To avoid overcooking, check every 2 minutes after 10 minutes. Note that the fries will crisp even further as they cool down. Also the second load usually cooks slightly faster than the first load as the basket is already really hot.
- This recipe is tested in a 4-quart Air Fryer. Don’t overcrowd the basket and cook them in multiple loads if needed. Spread them evenly with minimum overlapping.
Dips for air fryer French fries
A good dip takes the French fries to a completely new level. Here are some popular options:
- Sriracha mayo
- Sour cream and onion dip
Temperature and time
I recommend cooking them at a high temperature of 400°F (200°C), which produces more crispy French fries without burning.
Shake and stir after 6 minutes, and then check every 2 minutes after 10 minutes. It takes about 10-15 minutes in total.
Note: The cooking time depends on the thickness of the French fries and how full the basket is.
Do I need to defrost frozen French fries before cooking?
You should avoid thawing frozen French fries for the best results.
How to prevent the fries from getting soggy?
Cooking them at a higher temperature helps prevent the fries from getting soggy. Also make sure your French fries are completely frozen before cooking.
What to serve with French fries?
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love:
Crispy Air Fryer Frozen French Fries Without Oil
- 1 lb frozen French fries (I used unseasoned fries, if yours are already seasoned, skip the salt and pepper)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Preheat you air fryer by setting the temperature to 400ºF. (It usually takes about 3 minutes to preheat an air fryer.)
- In a large bowl, season the frozen French fries with with salt and pepper.
- When the air fryer is ready, take the basket out.
- Spread the frozen French fries in the basket evenly, overlapping as little as possible. (You will need to cook in batches.)
- Put back the basket, and set the timer for 13 minutes.
- After 6 minutes, take out the basket and shake the fries.
- Return the basket to the air fryer. After 4 more minutes, check every 2 minutes until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Season with more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Let the French fries cool slightly before serving. They will become crispier and crunchier as they cool down.
- Serve with your favorite dip and enjoy!
- Make sure to watch the fries closely and check after cooking for 10 minutes in total. The French fries are done cooking if the edges of the fries are golden brown. Add more time if necessary.