This Chili Dog Casserole is hot dog wrapped with biscuit dough, then baked in a homemade chili sauce with shredded cheese. An easy Tex Mex meal tastes like your favorite Mexcian restaurant. It’s the best chili dog recipe you will EVER have!
CHILI CHEESE DOG BAKE
Chili dog casserole is chili, cheese, plus hot dog baked to perfection! We love easy chili recipes. From Frito Chili Pie to Chili Dog bake, there is something so comforting about these Mexican food! We’ve served this hot dog casserole on game day and paired it with side dishes such as fruit salsa or blooming onion. Great for super bowl! No need to go to Sonic!
These baked chili cheese dogs are so cheesy and delicious, with an amazing presentation. It turns the classic American chili dog into a pull-apart party style. If you need a great potluck entrée for game day, this is hands down the best casserole idea out there!
It’s chili dog time!
HOW TO MAKE HOT DOG CHILI CASSEROLE
This hot dog chili casserole takes minimal effort to put together. It’s made with biscuit dough stuffed with hot dog, then baked to perfection in a chili sauce topped with cheese.
- The first step is to wrap your hot dogs with biscuit dough and make the ring in a skillet. Bake them in the oven for about 10-12 minutes.
- While it’s baking, make the homemade chili sauce. Fry onions until soft and then add spices, tomatoes and chili beans. Cook for about 10 minutes until the mixture has thickened.
- Once the hot dog ring is golden, remove it from the oven. Add chili into the middle. Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for 10 more minutes. That’s it!
WHAT KIND OF HOT HOG IS USED IN HOT DOG CASSEROLE?
Get the best quality hot dog you can for this recipe. We like kosher dogs or organic beef sausages. You can also use veggie dogs for vegetarian chili dog.
You will need to cut your hot dogs into 1.5-inch pieces. Then tear biscuit dough in half and wrap around each piece of your hot dog.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT CHILI DOG CASSEROLE
- Swap out biscuit dough for crescent roll, cornbread, tater tot, or buns.
- Leftover chili dog casserole keeps well in a fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Bake your biscuit dough until golden brown so that it won’t get mushy after adding the chili sauce.
- Use your favorite cheese to sprinkle on top of the chili sauce. I use the mix of Monterey Jack and Mozzarella cheese because they melt well.
Chili Cheese Dog Casserole Video Tutorial
Chili Dog Casserole
- 1 package refrigerated biscuit dough
- 6 hot dogs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes 1 can
- 16 oz chili beans 1 can
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 green onion minced, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut your hot dogs into 1.5-inch long pieces.
- Cut your biscuit dough in half and flatten out each piece.
- Place the hot dog piece into each dough and wrap around it.
- Place the biscuit dough wrapped hot dogs in a circle in an oven-safe skillet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- While the biscuit is baking, add olive oil to a pan over medium heat.
- Add diced onions and fry until soft. Add chili powder, cumin, tomatoes, chili beans, salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until thickened.
- Remove the biscuit from the oven, and add chili sauce to the middle of the ring. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Return to oven for about 8 minutes until cheese is melted. Enjoy!