Tired of boring mid-week lunches? Kick it up a notch with this tasty Chicken and Shrimp Carbonara, just like they do at Olive Garden! Made with fresh, flavorful ingredients and seasoned with herbs, this is a meal the whole family will enjoy.
Who doesn’t love an evening at Olive Garden? For those nights when you want all of the flavor without having to leave your home, DIY is your best bet. For an elevated experience, we recommend freshly grated parmesan and authentic Italian seasonings.
What is Chicken and Shrimp Carbonara?
Chicken and shrimp carbonara is a classic Italian-American pasta dish featuring a creamy parmesan sauce, tender bits of chicken, succulent jumbo shrimp and bacon. It’s meaty, cheesy and delicious – the ultimate comfort food! This dish was made popular by the Olive Garden chain of restaurants, but can easily be recreated at home whenever you feel the craving.
What is Carbonara Sauce Made of?
Carbonara sauce is a thick, creamy, cheesy sauce that’s hard to resist! You’ll need freshly grated parmesan cheese, olive oil, heavy cream and eggs to create this sauce. Season generously with Italian herbs for a taste that’s just like a Roman holiday.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Linguine: We love linguine with our carbonara, but you can opt for another noodle of your choice. Long pasta options include spaghetti or fettuccine. If you prefer a shorter pasta, try penne or bowtie.
- Olive oil: Get the best olive oil you can find for this recipe. We don’t recommend substituting it with another oil for this recipe.
- Garlic: For best results, you’ll want to use fresh cloves of garlic, minced or chopped. In a pinch, you can use pre-packaged minced garlic or powdered garlic.
- Onion: Yellow or white onions are ideal for this recipe. Otherwise, shallots may also be used.
- Chicken: Get skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips.
- Shrimp: Try using large or jumbo shrimp for this recipe, peeled and deveined.
- Bacon: Either bacon or pancetta can be used for this recipe. If you prefer, you can use beef or turkey bacon.
- Cream: Use heavy cooking cream for this recipe for a thick, rich carbonara sauce. Substitute with ½ and ½ milk for a low-calorie version.
- Parmesan Cheese: Skip the pre-packaged stuff and use freshly grated, authentic parmesan. You’ll notice a huge difference in the quality of your sauce.
- Italian seasoning: Pick up an Italian seasoning blend with herbs such as oregano, rosemary, basil and thyme.
How to Make Chicken Shrimp Carbonara
You won’t believe how easy it is to prepare this Chicken and Shrimp Carbonara!
1. In a skillet over medium-high heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil and cook the minced onions and garlic in it until fragrant.
2. Add the chicken and sauté until tender.
3. Sauté the shrimp until cooked through. Be careful not to overcook.
4. Cook the bacon in a pan in a single layer and fry until crisp. Remove to the plate and crumble into pieces.
5. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package directions until al dente.
6. While the pasta is cooking, go ahead and prepare the sauce. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, grated parmesan and Italian seasoning.
7. Drain the pasta and add the sauce mixture.
8. Using a fork or tongs, toss the pasta in the sauce, then add the shrimp, chicken and bacon.
How many Calories are in Olive Garden Chicken and Shrimp Carbonara?
According to Olive Garden’s website, their Chicken and Shrimp Carbonara contains 1390 calories. This rich and creamy comfort food is ideal for special occasions or a cheat meal treat.
Variation: Healthy Chicken Shrimp Carbonara
Looking for a healthier, lower-calorie version of Chicken and Shrimp Carbonara? Skip the heavy cream and replace it with ½ cup of half and half milk. You’ll get the same deliciousness with a fraction of the calories and fat. Enjoy!
You May Also Like
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- Perfect Sous Vide Shrimp (Frozen & Fresh)
- Creamy Baked Cavatappi Pasta (Italian Corkscrew Pasta)
Chicken and Shrimp Carbonara Recipe
- 1 pound linguine pasta fresh or dried
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 onion diced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined (see note)
- 8 slices smoked bacon diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped fine (optional garnish)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil along with the minced garlic and onion, frying for one minute or until fragrant.
- Add the sliced chicken and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes until tender. Then remove the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet. Add the shrimp and sauté stirring regularly until pink and firm, about 3 to 5 minutes (be careful not to overcook). Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Wipe the skillet clean with paper towels and place back on the heat. Line a plate with paper towels and set aside. Put the bacon in a pan in a single layer and fry until crisp. Remove to the prepared plate and crumble into pieces.
- Bring a large pot of cold water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package directions until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, combine the sauce ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the beaten eggs, heavy cream, grated parmesan and Italian seasoning.
- Drain the pasta and immediately add the egg mixture (the steam from the pasta will cook the eggs). Using kitchen tongs, toss a few times and then add the chicken, shrimp and bacon, tossing once more.
- Add the chicken shrimp carbonara to serving plates and garnish with optional fresh parsley to serve.
- Shrimp: If using frozen shrimp, thaw the shrimp completely. You can use large or jumbo shrimp although cooking times will vary with shrimp sizes.
- Bacon: To save time, you can use precooked bacon if you prefer.
Leave a Reply