This post may contain affiliate links.
Please read my disclosure policy.
This easy Bisquick Coffee Cake is perfectly moist, buttery, and topped with crunchy cinnamon streusel! Have you ever woken up on a Sunday morning and just craved that perfect dessert or treat to pair with your morning coffee? This recipe uses Bisquick mix for a quick and easy coffee cake – perfect for breakfast or brunch!
Making Coffee Cake with Bisquick Mix Couldn’t Be Easier!
The classic coffee cake made from scratch is delicious, but sometimes I don’t have enough time to measure the long list of ingredients. I need a quick and easy version to satisfy my cravings. Baking using Bisquick pancake mix as a shortcut ingredient is completely a game changer and a great time saver! One of my favorites is my Bisquick Strawberry Shortcake.
Making a Bisquick coffee cake is not only satisfying to accomplish, but to the taste buds as well. All it takes is about 10 minutes of your time to prepare, and the oven will do the rest of the work!
Ingredients and Substitutes
- Bisquick mix – I used the Original Bisquick Mix for this recipe! If you don’t have Bisquick, you can use other pancake mixes.
- Sugar – Use regular granulated sugar for the batter.
- Milk – You can use milk or water for this recipe.
- Egg – It creates a richer and moister taste while providing structure for a tender cake.
- Brown Sugar – Use brown sugar for the cinnamon streusel topping.
- Cinnamon – Adds a burst of flavor that goes beautifully with coffee.
- Butter – Use unsalted butter for this recipe, and store it in the refrigerator before mixing.
How to Make Bisquick Coffee Cake
Make the Streusel Topping
1. Whisk together Bisquick mix, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
2. Add the diced butter and crumble it into the dry mixture using your hands.
Prepare Bisquick Coffee Cake Batter
3. Combine Bisquick mix, sugar, milk, and egg. Scrape the bowl down.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth out.
Assemble & Bake the Cake
5. Sprinkle streusel topping evenly over batter. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Let it cool in the pan for 20 minutes before cutting. Serve and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks for the Perfect Bisquick Coffee Cake Recipe
- Make sure to measure the ingredients properly as slightly too much Bisquick mix can easily dry out your coffee cake.
- You can mix in a cup of chopped almonds or pecans with your streusel topping for extra crunch.
- Be sure not to overbake, check your cake about 5 minutes before it is supposed to be done.
- Let the cake cool a bit before cutting it, then slice it up with a cake knife and enjoy!
- Bisquick Fruit coffee cake: You can add fruits like blueberries, sliced apples, or peaches to the batter.
- Bisquick coffee cake muffins: Spoon the batter into the muffin tin for some bite-sized coffee cakes.
Why Is It Called Coffee Cake When There Isn’t Coffee in The Ingredients?
Coffee cake has been around ever since the 1700s and is traditionally served with coffee. Hence the name coffee cake.
How to Store Bisquick Coffee Cake?
If you have any leftovers, wrap them with foil or plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out. It can last about 1 day at room temperature and 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Can You Freeze Bisquick Coffee Cake?
Yes, you can easily freeze your cake for up to three months. Make sure to wrap it tightly with foil and cover it with plastic wrap. To thaw it, just leave it in the fridge overnight and pop it in the oven to warm it up before serving.
If You Like This Recipe Try These Out
If you tried this recipe, let me know how your Bisquick Coffee Cake turns out in the comments below!
Bisquick Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 cups Bisquick mix
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
For the Streusel Topping
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together Bisquick mix, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Add diced butter. Use your hands to crumble the butter into the dry mixture.
For the Coffee Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper or grease it. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine Bisquick mix, sugar, milk, and egg using a spatula. Scrape the bowl down.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth out.
- Sprinkle streusel topping evenly over batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the pan for 20 minutes before cutting. Serve and enjoy!
- You can triple the recipe and use a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Measure the Bisquick mix properly. The best way is to spoon the mix into the measuring cup, then level it off with a knife. Adding too much dry mix is a common mistake for this recipe, and will make the cake too dry.
- You can add fruit like blueberries, sliced apples or peaches for a delicious variation.
- Feel free to mix in a cup of chopped almonds or pecans with your streusel topping for extra crunch.
- Make sure not to overbake the cake. Otherwise, the cake can become too dry.
- For the leftover coffee cake, you can microwave for 10-20 seconds before serving.
- To make a coffee cake with a cinnamon filling in the middle: You’ll need to double the recipe for the cake batter. Then in a small mixing bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup Bisquick mix, and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon. Pour only half of the batter into the baking dish, then sprinkle the cinnamon filling on top evenly. Add the remaining batter over the cinnamon filling. Spread from the center to the edges.