This Healthy Spinach Wrap recipe is super easy to make, and perfect for enchiladas, tacos, burritos, and quesadillas. These homemade vegan spinach tortillas are better than the store-bought garden spinach tortilla wraps.
Summer is around the corner, and I’m making lots of quick and easy meals with Flour Tortillas and these healthy spinach wraps.
Spinach wraps are healthy Mexican flatbread made with just 4 ingredients. You can prepare them ahead of time and store them in the fridge or freezer.
What Is Spinach Tortilla Wrap?
Spinach tortilla wraps are a type of tortilla made with spinach puree. The puree is mixed with flour, water, and other ingredients to create a dough that is then rolled out and cooked on a griddle or skillet. The result is a thin, flexible, and flavorful wrap that can be used in a variety of dishes.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Spinach: You can use fresh or frozen spinach.
- Flour: Regular all-purpose flour or spelt flour is great for this recipe. You can also use gluten-free flour.
How Do You Make Spinach Wrap From Scratch?
Spinach wraps can be made from scratch using 4 simple ingredients.
- Combine spinach, flour, salt, and water in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat, and then pour a portion onto the heated skillet.
- Cook for 1 to 3 minutes per side, or until brown spots appear. Fill with black beans, corn, and fresh veggies for a delicious meal or snack.
Tips And Tricks
- Use fresh spinach for the best flavor and texture.
- Knead the dough well to ensure that it is smooth and elastic.
- Cook the wraps on a hot griddle or skillet for a few seconds on each side.
Where To Buy Spinach Wraps?
Spinach wraps are available at major supermarkets and local delis. You can also buy them online.
How To Store Spinach Wraps?
You can store them in a ziptop bag in the refrigerator and they can last for 4-5 days. Alternatively, wrap them in foil, place them in a ziptop bag, and they can last up to 6 months in the freezer.
Ways To Use Spinach Wrap
You can use spinach wraps in place of regular tortillas in a variety of Mexican dishes, from tacos and burritos to quesadillas and enchiladas. Here are a few ideas:
- Mexican Tacos
Are Spinach Wraps Good for You?
Spinach tortilla wraps are an excellent substitute for regular flour tortillas. With about 116 calories per wrap and loaded with fiber and protein, they are one of the healthiest types of wraps to serve.
Are Spinach Wraps Vegan?
Made with 4 ingredients, baby spinach, spelt flour, cold water, and table salt, spinach wraps are not only delicious but vegan as well.
Are Spinach Wraps Gluten-free?
Spinach wraps are gluten-free when made with gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour.
Is a Spinach Wrap Keto?
A spinach wrap made by substituting almond flour or flaxseed meal for spelt flour is extra low in carbs and can be part of a Keto meal plan.
Do I need to Buy a Tortilla Press?
While a tortilla press can make the process of rolling out the dough easier, it is not necessary. You can use a rolling pin to flatten the dough instead.
Can I Use Frozen Spinach for This Recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen spinach in place of fresh spinach. We recommend thawing and drain the spinach before pureeing it.
Can I Make the Dough Ahead of Time
Yes, you can make the dough ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Make sure to let the dough come to room temperature before rolling it out.
How Can I Keep the Homemade Tortillas Warm?
You can keep the homemade tortillas warm by wrapping them in a clean towel or placing them in a warm oven (set to low heat) until ready to serve.
Are Spinach Wraps Healthy for Weight Loss?
Spinach wraps are a healthier option than traditional flour tortillas because they are lower in calories and higher in fiber. However, it is important to keep portion sizes in check and to choose healthy fillings such as vegetables and lean proteins.
Are Spinach Wraps Low Carb?
Spinach wraps are lower in carbs than traditional flour tortillas, but they still contain some carbs. If you are following a low-carb diet, you may want to limit your intake of spinach wraps or choose a low-carb alternative.
Homemade Spinach Wraps Recipe (Step-by-Step Instructions)
- 3 cups baby spinach washed and packed, 8 oz
- 2 cups spelt flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups cold water
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- Line a large plate with parchment and set it aside.
- Add the spinach, flour, water, and salt to a blender. Blend for 20-30 seconds or until smooth.
- Place a nonstick skillet over medium heat (see note). Pour ½ cup of the batter into the center of the pan and spread out to about 12-inch diameter using a rubber spatula or trowel spreader.
- Cook for about 1 ½ minutes until lightly browned underneath. Flip and cook on the other side for one minute more.
- Remove to the prepared plate. Add another layer of parchment or a clean dish towel before adding the next wrap to prevent sticking.
- If you use a cast-iron skillet, add ½ teaspoon canola oil to the pan and coat thoroughly to prevent sticking.
Easy recipe produced a true wrap rather than the tortillas I saw on other pages
Hi Eric, glad that you like the recipe. Thanks for letting me know. Izzy
These are great wraps! Very easy to prepare and cook (once you get the knack of spreading them out) they’re also really tasty and much healthier than any store bought wraps. Thank you!
Do you know if these can be gluten free and what the best substitute for the flour would be? Thank you!