This post may contain affiliate links.
Please read my disclosure policy.
You will not believe how DELICIOUS these Roasted Eggplant Slices are! Each slice is perfectly caramelized on the outside, while the inside is perfectly tender and juicy. Once drizzled with my homemade chimichurri sauce, the flavor will blow your mind away!
These roasted eggplant slices are super easy and take only 20 minutes to make. Simply slice the eggplant, season, and bake!
They are a must-try side dish and go well with everything! 😋
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re searching for the best way to enjoy eggplant, look no further. All my family and friends agree that this is absolutely their favorite eggplant recipe! Roasted Eggplant Slices with Chimichurri Sauce will make your taste buds dance with joy.
The secret is in the sauce! The combination of perfectly roasted eggplant slices and the savory and zesty chimichurri sauce creates incredible flavors you’ve never had before.
Ingredients You’ll Need For Roasted Eggplant Slices
To bake eggplant slices in the oven, all you need is olive oil, salt, and pepper. This recipe also includes a delicious chimichurri sauce to add extra flavors. Below is a photo of all the ingredients I used.
What Kind Of Eggplants To Use
Italian or globe eggplants are a top choice for roasting. Look for eggplants that are firm and unblemished with smooth skin. Small to medium sized eggplant works better for this recipe.
Peel or Not to Peel? If your eggplants are very fresh, I recommend that you keep the skin, as it adds a nice texture once roasted. If your eggplants are old with thick skin, it’s best to peel the skin off as it can be a little bitter and chewy.
Salt or Not to Salt? I don’t salt my eggplants for this recipe as I always use high-quality and super fresh ones. For large and older eggplants, salting before baking can help draw out excess moisture and reduce bitterness.
The Sauce Turns this into the Best Ever Eggplant!
Chimichurri sauce is what makes this dish so special! Made with a mix of fresh herbs, garlic, vinegar, and olive oil, it adds a burst of flavor to the roasted eggplant slices. The combination of the caramelized eggplant and the tangy and savory sauce is completely irresistible. 😍
How To Make Roasted Eggplant Slices
- Cut the eggplant into slices with uniform thickness: For even cooking, try to slice the eggplant crosswise into disks with the same thickness (about 1/2 inch).
- Pat dry with paper towels and season the slices: After slicing, remove the moisture on the surface of the eggplant with paper towels. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn the eggplant and repeat on the other side.
- Arrange the Slices in One Single Layer: Give your eggplant slices some room on the baking sheet. Crowding can lead to steaming rather than roasting.
- Roast in the preheated oven at 430°F for about 15-20 minutes, or until the eggplant is soft and golden. Flip halfway through. (Once you season eggplant, the salt can draw the moisture out and make the surface wet again if you don’t cook immediately.)
- Make chimichurri sauce by mixing all the sauce ingredients. Place the roasted eggplant slices on a plate and drizzle with chimichurri sauce.
Troubleshoot Roasted Eggplant Problems
Problem # 1: Eggplant slices shrink too much and turn into mush
How to Fix It: Roast eggplant at a high temperature for a shorter time. This approach will help to seal the surface of the vegetable and lock the moisture.
Problem # 2: Eggplant slices stick on the baking sheet
How to Fix it: Use a non-stick baking sheet or align your tray with parchment paper. Alternatively, you can brush the slices with extra olive oil to prevent them from sticking.
Ways To Serve Roasted Eggplant Slices
You can enjoy them as an appetizer or side dish, or serve them with these dishes:
If you tried this recipe, let me know how your Roasted Eggplant Slices turn out in the comments below!
Roasted Eggplant Slices with Chimichurri Sauce Recipe
For the Eggplant
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar or any type of vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 430°F. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the eggplant crosswise into ½-inch thick circles.
- Pat dry the slices with paper towels.
- Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn the eggplant and repeat on the other side.
- Roast for about 15-20 minutes, or until the eggplant is soft and golden. Flip halfway through.
- Add all the chimichurri sauce ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Place the roasted eggplant slices on a plate and spoon chimichurri sauce onto your eggplant slices. Serve and enjoy!
- What is the best temperature for roasting eggplant slices? Baking at a high temperature for a shorter time will give you better results. My favorite temperature is 430°F, but you can experiment anywhere between 400 and 430°F.
- How long does it take to roast eggplant slices in the oven? Roasting time varies based on your oven’s temperature and the thickness of the slices. If you bake them at 430°F, you should check after 15 minutes.
- Can I use an air fryer to roast eggplant slices? Yes, the air fryer will cook your eggplants faster with a crispier exterior. Cook at 400°F for about 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through.