Nutella Pizza is a must-try dessert that’s sure to impress your guest. It’s perfectly easy to make – this recipe skips out on the tomato and cheese in favor of adding chocolate spread onto the pizza crust, making a mouth-watering dessert. You can easily customize it with different topping like strawberries, bananas, or marshmallows.
It makes sense. Pizza is the perfect, easy, handheld meal, there should be a dessert version! After all, its savor comes from the toppings you choose, the dough itself is, well, just bread. Like a traditional pizza, this Nutella pizza gives you the liberty to get creative with your toppings. Leave it plain, add strawberries, or bust out your favourite sweet foods to add on top.
We made a homemade pizza dough frame scratch, but you can also use store-bought refrigerated dough for a quick and easy chocolate pizza recipe.
What is A Nutella Pizza and Who Invented It?
There’s no definite inventor of Nutella pizza, though many claimed the idea of using the chocolatey hazelnut spread on freshly made pizza crust was theirs. The only two brilliant minds we can credit for sure are Raffaele Esposito (the inventor of pizza) and Pietro Ferrero (the inventor of Nutella…recognize the last name?).
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Yeast: We used dry active yeast for this recipe, so you’ll need to proof the yeast first.
- Warm Water: The temperature of your water is key! You won’t need to boil anything for this recipe, but make sure not to use water that’s too cold. You’ll want it to feel like a hot tub or a nice warm bath (about 105-110°F ).
- Sugar: Plain white sugar works best here as it adds no distinct flavor.
- All-purpose flour: We used all-purpose flour for this recipe, but feel free to use bread flour for a crispier texture.
- Salt: Just a pinch of table salt is needed.
- Olive Oil: Oil is going to give your dough a nice, soft consistency. If you don’t have olive oil, you can use vegetable oil. Don’t substitute with any other oil that has a strong flavor, as it may translate into your dough.
- Nutella: Any chocolate or chocolate Hazelnut spread will work for this recipe. Nutella is widely available and reasonably priced.
- Strawberries: Fresh strawberries are going to be best in this recipe, because they’ll bring in a juicy freshness. Make sure you dry your strawberries thoroughly before placing them on your pizza, so they don’t make the Nutella watery.
How to Make Nutella Pizza
1. Proof the yeast: Whisk together yeast, sugar and warm water in a small bowl. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes until bubbly.
2. Make the dough: Mix together flour, salt, olive oil and yeast mixture. Knead the dough until it’s soft and elastic.
3. Let the dough rise: Let it rise for about 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
4. Stretch the dough and bake: Flatten the dough ball into a 12-inch circle. Transfer it to a non-stick pizza pan. Use a fork to poke holes across the surface of the dough. Bake it for about 13 to 15 minutes at 450°F until the crust is golden brown.
5. Add Nutella: Spread Nutella evenly on top of the pizza.
6. Add strawberries: Arrange sliced strawberries on top.
Tips & Tricks for the Best Strawberry Nutella Pizza
- Make ahead: If you want to serve this strawberry Nutella pizza fresh, but don’t have time to do it all on the spot, prepare your dough ahead of time! Make your dough and let it rise before wrapping it tightly with plastic wrap then sticking it in a freezer-safe container. Thaw it in the fridge for a few hours before you want to use it, and once it defrosts, set it on the counter to get to room temperature before you roll it out.
- Add the Nutella later after baking: It’s best to bake the pizza first before adding the Nutella layer.
- Use store-bought crust for a quicker recipe. Cook them as per their instructions then follow this recipe like normal.
- Storing: This pizza will last in the fridge about two days before the strawberries get soggy. If you’re hoping to make it to keep for a few days, don’t add the strawberries until you’re ready to serve.
Chocolate Pizza Variations
- Nutella Pizza with Marshmallows: There’s a reason these fluffy little treats join an array of fruit at fondue stations. Marshmallows and chocolate are a match made in heaven! Sprinkle mini marshmallows on top of the Nutella pizza before serving.
- Nutella Pizza with Bananas: Bananas are a great topping choice because along with bringing in the freshness of fruits, they have a creaminess to them as well.
- S’mores Dessert Pizza: If you really want to wow your guests with your Nutella pizza, try this S’mores variation. Use a graham cracker crust and sprinkle mini marshmallows on top of the Nutella, then pop it back in the oven for a couple of minutes, until your marshmallows are golden brown. Take it out and drizzle even more Nutella on it, then sprinkle on graham cracker crumbs.
What Does Nutella Pizza Taste Like?
Nutella Pizza is such a decadent and inviting treat. It’s chocolatey, it’s melty and it’s doughy. Think of it as a cross between your basic Nutella on toast and a yummy Nutella donut.
About Domino’s Dessert Chocolate Pizza
Like any good pizza, you would expect to be able to get Nutella pizzas delivered. Domino’s UK launched their Lotta Chocca Pizza in the UK in 2017 and it caused quite the stir. Though it’s since been discontinued, Domino’s did mention in a Tweet in early 2021 that it would be back sooner than later.
If You Love This Recipe Try These Out
If you tried this recipe, let me know how your Nutella Pizza turns out in the comments below!
Nutella Chocolate Pizza Recipe
Homemade Pizza Dough
- 1 packet active dry yeast 2 ¼ teaspoons
- 1 cup warm water 105-110°F 40-43°C
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Toppings
- 1/2 cup Nutella (plus more for drizzling)
- 1 ½ pints fresh strawberries (hulled and sliced)
- optional powdered sugar
- Proof the yeast: Whisk together yeast, sugar and warm water in a small bowl. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes until bubbly.
- Make the dough: Mix together flour, salt, olive oil and yeast mixture with a wooden spoon until the dough just begins to come together.
- Knead the dough: You can do it by hand for about 5 minutes until it’s soft and elastic. Place the dough in a greased mixing bowl.
- Let the dough rise: Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for about 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Stretch the dough: Gently flatten the dough ball into a 12-inch circle. Transfer it to a non-stick pizza pan. Use a fork to poke holes across the surface of the dough.
- Bake the pizza: Bake it for about 13 to 15 minutes at 450°F until the crust is golden brown.
- Add Nutella: Spread the Nutella evenly on top of the pizza.
- Add Strawberries: Arrange sliced strawberries on top.
- (Optional) Dust with powdered sugar. Serve warm or cold!
- Make-ahead tips: If you’d like to make the dough ahead of time, you’ll let it rise first, and then wrap with plastic wrap and place it in a freezer-safe bag. Thaw in the refrigerator and then bring it to room temperature before using.
- The store-bought pizza crust works well too.
- Strawberry Nutella pizza can last for 1-2 days in the fridge before the strawberries get too soggy.