For a fruity and refreshing snack, dessert or appetizer, Fruit Cocktail is always a crowd favorite! What could be better than a variety of fresh, juicy fruits on a hot summer’s day? If you aren’t a fan of canned fruit cocktail salad, you’re sure to enjoy this easy, homemade version using seasonal fruit and berries.
The best thing about fruit salad is that it’s both satisfying and guilt-free. It’s the healthiest way to feed your sweet tooth when you’re craving dessert or candy. Fruit cocktail is completely plant-based and allows you to enjoy all the goodness that nature has to offer!
The Best Fruit Cocktail Salad
The best fruit cocktails are made with ripe, colorful fruit cut into convenient, bite-size pieces. Each spoonful should have an exciting mixture of fruit, so be sure to combine the fruits well. Fruit cocktail salad is even more delicious when tossed in a sweet and tangy dressing of honey and lemon juice. Enjoy your fruit salad on its own or with ice cream, yogurt, or pastries.
Ingredients You’ll Need
For this recipe, you can use any fruits you like. Make sure to use a wide variety that’s full of flavor. Below are what I used for this recipes:
- Fresh Strawberries
- Mandarin Oranges
- Fresh Lemon Juice
How to Make the Best Fruit Cocktail
1. Clean and cut the fruit. Add everything except bananas to a large mixing bowl.
2. Whisk together honey and lemon juice.
3. Pour the dressing over the fruit mixture and toss to coat.
4. Add banana slices and mix very gently before serving. Enjoy!
Tips & Tricks for the Perfect Fruit Cocktail Salad
- Use ripened fruit: Ripened fruit are sweeter and have a better texture for you to enjoy. Ensure your fruits are at the peak of ripeness for a juicy and sweet fruit salad.
- Use a variety of fruit:The best part of a fruit cocktail is getting the opportunity to enjoy many different fruits at once. Use a wide variety of fruit for a snack that’s full of flavor.
- Add the bananas later: Bananas can get notoriously mushy when they come in contact with heat, air and moisture. For the freshest, tastiest fruit salad, we recommend adding slices of bananas later, such as right before you’re ready to serve your salad.
Can I Use Frozen Fruits for This Recipe?
Frozen fruits are super convenient for smoothies and blended drinks, but are less ideal for a fruit salad. You’ll want to use fresh fruits that are chilled and ready to eat. Go ahead and cut your fruit into smaller, bite-size pieces as needed. Of course, smaller fruit such as blueberries can be left whole.
Can I Make It Ahead of Time?
If you’re hosting a dinner party or simply want to meal prep a healthy snack, you can definitely make this fruit cocktail ahead of time. The trick is to be strategic about the fruit that you use. Fruits like watermelon and bananas do not store very well, so you’ll want to add those to your salad just before you’re ready to enjoy it. Prepare your fruit cocktail by washing, cutting, and storing your more robust fruit in an airtight container in the fridge. If you’re using a dressing, save that for just before you’re ready to dig into your fruit cocktail salad.
What Fruits Are in a Typical Can of Fruit Cocktail?
The canned fruit cocktail is a convenient alternative to making your own fresh fruit cocktail. These fruity mixes usually contain fruits such as peaches, pears, pineapples, cherries, and grapes. Canned fruits are usually stored in flavored syrup or fruit juice.
Is Fruit Cocktail Healthy?
The canned fruit cocktail is usually stored in heavy syrup or juice that can be high in sugar, adding unnecessary calories and making this a less healthy snack. But the homemade fruit cocktail is much healthier, as it’s made with fresher ingredients and there’s less added sugar and calories. The fresh fruit cocktail is a refreshing and delicious plant-based snack that makes a healthy alternative to candy when you’re craving something sweet.
What Can You Add to the Fruit Cocktail to Improve the Taste?
Fruit cocktails will taste even better with the addition of very simple ingredients. Toss a sprig of mint in your salad for a subtle flavor that goes well with the fruit. Prepare a sweet and tangy dressing for your salad by mixing lemon juice with honey and drizzling the mixture over your fruits. To get the party started, add a chilled fruit cocktail to glasses of wine for fresh sangria. A fresh fruit cocktail also makes a tasty topping for ice cream or yogurt.
You May Also Like
Easy Fruit Cocktail Salad Recipe
For the Salad
- 1/2 lb fresh strawberries sliced
- 1/2 lb chopped pineapple
- 1/4 lb blueberries
- 1/4 lb grapes halved
- 2 kiwis peeled and chopped, or peach
- 1 mandarin oranges
- 1 banana sliced
For the Dressing
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Clean and cut the fruit.
- Add everything except bananas to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, make the dressing by whisking together honey and lemon juice.
- Pour the dressing over the fruit mixture and toss to coat.
- Add banana slices and mix very gently before serving. Enjoy!
- It’s best to use ripened fruit as they are sweeter and have a better texture.
- The best part of a fruit cocktail is getting the opportunity to enjoy many different fruits at once. Use a wide variety of fruit for a snack that’s full of flavor.
- For the freshest, tastiest fruit salad, I recommend adding slices of bananas later, right before you’re ready to serve your salad.