These copycat Burger King Onion Rings are crispy and bursting with savory onion flavors! Made with a few simple ingredients, these homemade onion rings are a perfect side dish, appetizer, or snack for any occasion. Pair them with the onion ring sauce – mouth-watering delicious!
Copycat Burger King Onion Rings taste just like the real thing! Serve them as a nostalgic snack or delicious side dish for homemade burgers. These rings are best eaten when they’re fresh, crispy and piping hot.
Ingredients for Burger King Onion Rings
- White Onion: We love making classic onion rings with white onions. If you like, you can also use yellow onions for similar results.
- All-Purpose Flour: Basic, all-purpose flour is considered one of the best for frying. If you have another kind of flour, you may use it for this recipe.
- Baking Powder: Don’t skip this ingredient. The baking powder creates tiny air bubbles on the surface of the rings, leading to a crispier, crunchier texture.
- Egg: Help to coat the onions properly.
- Milk: Most dairy and non-dairy milk are fine for this recipe.
- Salt and Pepper: For seasoning.
- Bread Crumbs: Panko bread crumbs help to give onion rings their signature crunch. If you prefer, you can make your own breadcrumbs.
- Vegetable Oil: For deep frying. Vegetable oil works the best as it has a high smoke point.
How to Make Burger King Onion Rings at Home
Step 1: Cut the Onions
Slice the onion into 1/2-inch thick rings. Then separate the rings from each other. Save the small rings for other recipes.
Step 2: Make the Breading
Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Then coat each onion ring in the flour mixture. Then set them aside.
Step 3: Make the Batter
In the same bowl with the remaining flour mixture, add milk and egg. Beat well until no lumps remain. Dip each onion ring in the mixture and shake away the excess liquid. Then coat each onion in bread crumbs.
Step 4: Deep Fry the Onions
In a deep-fryer, or a large pot over medium-high heat and add 2 inches of oil. Heat the oil to 375˚F. Working in batches, drop the coated onions into the hot oil. Make sure not to overcrowd the pot. Cook them for about 3 minutes in total, flip halfway through.
Once cooked, transfer the onions to a paper towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon. Immediately sprinkle with more salt.
Tips & Tricks for the Best Onion Rings
The best onion rings are crunchy and full of flavor. We recommend frying in a neutral oil that won’t alter the taste of your onions. Soaking your onion rings in cold water before frying helps to remove excess sulfur. This results in a better-tasting end product. When frying, work in small batches of 4-5 rings at a time to reduce the chances of burning.
Burger King Onion Rings Sauce
Onion rings are even more delicious when dipped into a zesty sauce. To recreate the sauce sold at Burger King, whip up 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with two teaspoons of horseradish and one teaspoon mustard. Add in generous pinches of cayenne pepper, salt, and sugar. Stir in a half teaspoon of lemon juice for a spicy, zesty sauce that’s a tasty complement to your onion rings.
What Types of Onions Should I Use for Onion Rings?
Pretty much any onion can be used to make onion rings. We recommend using white onions for their distinct oniony flavor, without being too pungent. Yellow onions will also make delicious onion rings.
Pro Tips: After you cut the onions, use big and medium-sized rings. For the small rings, you can store them in a zip-top bag for other recipes.
Are Burger King Onion Rings Vegan?
This recipe calls for both egg and milk, but substitutions can be made to make this meal vegan-friendly. Go ahead and use plant-based milk like oat or soy. It may sound strange, but plain, unsweetened applesauce works as an egg replacement for frying batter.
What Do Burger King Onion Rings Taste Like?
Onion rings are perfect for those times when French fries simply won’t do. Onion rings are distinguished by their super crunchy texture and flavorful exterior. When you bite into one of these rings, it can only be described as an explosion of onion.
Does Burger King Still Have Onion Rings?
As of 2021, you will still be able to walk into Burger King and purchase their famous onion rings. The rings are still prominently displayed on BK’s website as a menu item, though consumers have been known to complain about the rings being out of stock on occasion.
If You Like This Recipe Try These Out
If you tried this recipe, let me know how your Onion Rings turn out in the comments below!
Burger King Onion Rings Copycat Recipe
- 1 large white onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- vegetable oil for frying
- Slice the onion into 1/2-inch thick rings. Then separate the rings from each other. Keep the large and medium rings. Save the small rings for other recipes.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Coat each onion ring in the flour mixture. Then set them aside.
- In the same bowl with the remaining flour mixture, add milk and egg. Beat well until no lumps remain.
- Dip each onion ring in the mixture and shake away the excess liquid.
- Then coat each onion in bread crumbs.
- Place a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add 2 inches of oil. Heat the oil to 375˚F.
- Working in batches, drop the coated onions into the hot oil. Make sure not to overcrowd the pot. Cook them for about 3 minutes in total, flip halfway through.
- Once cooked, transfer the onions to a paper towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon. Immediately sprinkle with more salt.
- Make sure to shake off as much of the excess batter as possible before dipping it into breadcrumbs for the best results.
- Keep the oil temperature between 350 to 375˚F.
- Deep fry in batches so that your onion rings will be extra crispy.
Leave a Reply