If you love to eat cheese you’ve probably tasted both white and yellow American cheese. Both are delicious and can be enjoyed on their own, in sandwiches, on charcuterie boards and in cooked dishes.
In this post we’ll look at the similarities and the differences between these hugely popular types of American cheese.
What is White American Cheese?
White American cheese has a flavor that’s slightly salty and mild, and a dry and crumbly texture.
What is Yellow American Cheese?
Yellow American cheese has a medium-firm texture and is usually yellow in color but can also be white. It has a richer and stronger flavor that’s creamy and a bit salty.
Ways to Use White American Cheese
White American cheese lasts long and melts well. It’s an excellent choice for grilled cheese sandwiches, lasagna, and dips.
Difference Between White and Yellow American Cheese
Apart from the color, there are many differences between these two types of American cheese:
The production process is the main reason for the difference in color. Some brands of yellow American cheese are colored with annatto.
White American cheese has a mild salty taste compared to the sharp, tangy, and strong flavor of yellow cheese.
White cheese typically has a lower fat content which causes its drier texture that’s easy to crumble. Yellow cheese has a softer texture.
White American cheese is a favorite among restaurant chefs. Yellow cheese is mainly used on burgers, hot dogs, and sandwiches.
5 Best Substitutes For White American Cheese
If you’re in need of a substitute for white American cheese, choose one of the options below:
- Provolone Cheese: Has a mild neutral flavor and a decent amount of fat.
- Monterey Jack Cheese: The flavor is mild, similar to white American cheese with a pale yellow color and a soft texture.
- White Cheddar Cheese: Melts well like white American cheese but has a stronger flavor.
- Mozzarella: Choose whole-milk mozzarella, which melts better than part-skim milk mozzarella.
- Fontina Cheese: Has a semi-hard texture and melts well.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does White American Cheese Last?
An unopened package will last in the fridge for 2 weeks and in the freezer for up to 6 months Once thawed, the cheese will last for only 3-4 days in the fridge.
Is White American Cheese Healthier Than Yellow?
White American cheese has less fat and calories compared to yellow American cheese. All cheese, however, should be eaten in moderation.
Is Yellow American Cheese Dyed?
The color of yellow American cheese occurs naturally because of the beta-carotene in cow’s milk. Some brands add annatto or artificial colors to make the cheese brighter in color.
White American Cheese Dip Recipe
- Place the cheese, milk, and butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Stir frequently until melted.
- Add the cumin, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper (if using).
- Continue to stir and add more milk if a thinner consistency is desired.
- Serve immediately with chips, tortillas, and raw veggies!