Have you ever been to Ireland and loved the sweet treats? Or simply love the Irish culture and want to try some of their traditional desserts? Read below to find the best Irish Desserts that are perfect not only for the holidays but any time of the year!
You’ll certainly love the plethora of options below that range from kid-friendly desserts to family desserts to desserts that are just meant for the adults! Each bite of these desserts will provide comfort and surely satisfy all of your cravings.
What Are Good St. Patrick’s Day Desserts?
If you think of St.Patrick’s Day, you probably think of the color green, green beer, green desserts, and wearing green. You may be surprised though, some of the best St.Patrick’s Day desserts don’t necessarily include green color, but they do contain some alcohol! Some of the top suggestions are Irish Apple Pie, Shamrock Shakes, Irish Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce or you can keep it simple with Porter Cake or Irish Cake. Whatever the option, you’ll love that most Irish desserts are rather simple to make.
Easy Classic Irish Desserts
- Irish Soda Bread: Making Irish Soda Bread is easier than you think! All it takes is some caraway seeds, raisins, flour, buttermilk, and a few other ingredients. What gives this bread the name is the way that the acid in the buttermilk reacts with the base of the baking soda to provide the bread’s leavening.
- Irish Cream Brownies: Rich, delicious and boozy, these Irish Cream Brownies are made with Irish cream liqueur and topped with a smooth chocolate frosting. Remember though, these brownies are for adults only!
- Porter Cake: Irish Porter Cake is what you need to satisfy your sweet tooth. Made with dried fruit, hearty spices, and porter beer, this cake is usually served during the holidays. As it’s so simple to make, you can enjoy it as an afternoon snack!
- Barmbrack: This traditional Barmbrack certainly gives a nod to the Irish! This bread is filled with raisins that have been soaked in tea overnight and finished with a touch of sweet honey butter.
- Irish Coffee: Craving some Irish Coffee? Here you can learn how to make that perfect cup. To make this simple recipe, you’ll need hot coffee, Irish whiskey, maple syrup, and whipped cream. Enjoy and sip carefully!
Kid-Friendly Irish Desserts
- Irish Tea Cake: Sticking with simplicity, this Irish Tea Cake follows suit. In fact, you probably have all of the ingredients in your pantry right now! As you may have guessed, it’s traditionally served with tea or coffee, but it makes for a light, refreshing dessert after any meal.
- Irish Apple Cake: Maybe one of the best Irish desserts you will come across is this apple cake. Tender, soft, and jam-packed with apples, you’ll enjoy every bite! You’ll especially love that the apples hold their shape when baked and have a little crispness to them.
- Shamrock Shakes: Recreate those famous McDonald’s shamrock shakes any time of the year. All it takes is four simple ingredients, with two of the main ones being mint extract and green food coloring. Like it a bit thicker? Simply cut down on the amount of milk you use.
- Irish Apple Crumble: A delicious dessert made with sweetened apples, covered in a crumbly, oaty, and buttery topping! You’ll find absolute comfort in this warm dessert. It’s typically smothered in custard, however, you can certainly opt to eat it without.
- Scones: Have you visited Ireland before? Then you probably know that scones are always on the table! You will typically see them at breakfast or brunch, and most definitely at tea time! All it takes is a few simple ingredients to enjoy this treat, and be sure to top it off with some jam.
Irish Desserts with Alcohol
- Irish Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce: Who doesn’t love something as comforting as bread pudding? Perfect for St.Patrick’s day, this Irish bread pudding with Whiskey sauce can really be enjoyed any time of the year. The secret to taking this bread pudding from good to amazingly decadent is the whiskey sauce!
- Bailey’s Cheesecake: It’s the perfect grown-up dessert that will please all of your guests. It’s indulgent, it’s rich, it’s over the top! This Bailey’s Cheesecake features a crunch oreo crust with a smooth and creamy, bailey-infused filling and topped with a chocolate ganache. The end product is rich but not too sweet.
- Irish Whiskey Truffles: Whiskey lovers, this one is for you! They’re easy to make and are incredibly elegant! So much so that they hold up incredibly well and make the perfect gift. Filled with chocolate, cocoa powder and you can’t forget the whiskey!
- Guinness Chocolate Mousse: Chocolate, sugar, coffee, and Guinness beer are just a few of the ingredients that make this perfect Guinness Chocolate Mousse. You can serve this in champagne glasses but typically is served in beer glasses with some whipped cream on top to mimic Guinness beer.
- Bourbon Caramel Sauce: A 4-ingredient bourbon caramel sauce that is completely dreamy! Perfect addition to sundaes, crisps, cookies, cakes, and more. You’ll certainly be searching for things to drizzle this sauce on, safely too as this recipe only calls for 1 tbsp of bourbon.
You May Also Like
15 Traditional Irish Desserts (Whiskey Truffles Recipe & More)
- 1/3 cup whiskey
- 1 lb dark chocolate finely chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- unsweetened cocoa powder for rolling
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate, heavy cream, and butter.
- Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Add whiskey and sea salt. Mix until combined.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
- Remove from the fridge. Scoop out a small portion of the mixture and shape it into a ball.
- Roll the ball in a bowl of cocoa powder. Repeat with the rest of the mixture. Serve and enjoy!