Best authentic Spanish Desserts all in one place! From Spanish rice pudding to churros with chocolate sauce, you can bring a little bit of Spain into your home with these easy and delicious treats.
Whether you are looking for a dessert to serve with a cup of warm espresso after lunch or something to serve to your dinner guests, these recipes are sure to please.
What are the Most Popular Desserts in Spain?
Although many areas of Spain have their own styles of cuisine, there are several classic desserts that are traditionally served in all regions. These popular treats include Spanish custard, Arroz con Leche (rice pudding), churros, and Tarta de Santiago. Below we’ve listed recipes for these popular desserts, plus more that you can create at home.
Best Classic Spanish Desserts
1. Churros with Chocolate Sauce
This easy and delicious dessert can be made at home using a few ingredients from the pantry. Serve warm and sprinkled with a sugar coating for a treat that is sure to please.
2. Crème Caramel
The soft caramel topping, creamy texture, and vanilla flavoring are combined to create a classic, elegant dessert. Make this treat ahead of time for your next get-together.
3. Crema Catalana
Serve this classic, custard-style dessert with a strong café solo for an authentic Spanish flavor. Fresh berries can be added to the caramelized topping to add a pop of color and freshness.
4. Tres Leches Cake
A mixture of sweet milk give this dessert a fluffy, sponge cake-like texture. Topped off with cinnamon, berries, and fresh whipped cream, this dessert is divine and super easy to make.
5. Tarta De Santiago
Flavored with citrus and almond, this classic tart can be paired with a café con Leche. The traditional St. James cross can be added using a printed-off template and icing sugar.
6. Spanish Sponge Cake
Also called Bizcocho, this classic recipe uses four staple ingredients and is ready in less than one hour. Lemon zest gives it an added kick of flavor.
7. Spanish Rice Pudding
Spanish rice, sugar, and cinnamon are combined to create this creamy, delicious dessert. It’s traditionally called Arroz con Leche. Served either warmed or chilled, this dessert is a favorite treat throughout Spain.
8. Spanish Flan
This creamy, custard-type dessert is easy to make with just four ingredients. A sweet, sugar syrup topping will have this dessert melting in your mouth.
9. Chocolate Almond Torte
A simple-to-make cake that combines fudgy chocolate and an almond crunch! It’ll last for up to 4 days in the fridge or months in the freezer.
10. Polvorones Spanish Cookies
These Spanish cookies are sweet, tart with a nice lemon flavor and crumbly texture. They are perfect homemade gifts during holiday seasons. A simple tip here: refrigerating the dough for an hour will make it easy to roll and cut out.
11. Vegan Spanish Almond Cake
This gluten-free and vegan dessert is a combination of almond flour, flax, and molasses. Perfect for those looking for an alternative to traditional desserts.
12. Apple Empanadas Fruit Desserts
These Spanish apple empanadas are buttery, sweet, and flaky. You can sprinkle powdered sugar or turbinado sugar for some extra sweetness.
You May Also Like
Classic Spanish Churro Dessert
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter diced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup cinnamon sugar
- Add butter, sugar, water, and salt to a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and add flour, stirring constantly with a spatula until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl. Let it cool for a few minutes.
- Add vanilla and egg. Blend using an electric hand mixer. Beat until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a large piping bag fitted with a rounded star tip.
- Heat about 2-inch vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat to 350 F degrees.
- Pipe the mixture into the oil, and cut end with kitchen scissors.
- Fry about 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Transfer a plate lined with paper towels.
- Coat with cinnamon sugar. Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply