Oven roasted sweet potatoes are undeniably delicious. When done just right, they’re nice and crispy on the outside with a soft, fluffy middle. Not sure about the best oven temp for sweet potatoes? Keep reading to learn how you can get perfectly roasted potatoes every time.
What’s the Best Oven Temperature for Roasting Sweet Potatoes?
We recommend preheating your oven to 400-425°F for the best roasted sweet potatoes. This temperature range is the sweet spot for faster cooking without burning the skin of the potatoes.
At 400 degrees, a medium (3-4 inch) sweet potato will be ready in about 35 minutes.
Oven Temperature Charts for Sweet Potatoes
|Oven Temperature||Medium Sweet Potatoes (3-4 inches)||Large Sweet Potatoes (5+ inches)|
|350°F||1 hour 10 min||1 hour and 30 min|
|375°F||1 hour||1 hour and 15 min|
|400°F||35 min||50 min|
|425°F||45 min||60 min|
|475°F||35 min||40 min|
How to Tell if Sweet Potatoes Are Fully Cooked in the Oven
There are 3 ways to check whether a baked sweet potato is done cooking.
- The Look: it should be wrinkly with a papery appearance.
- The Texture: the center should be soft enough that a fork slides in easily.
- The Temperature: the middle should have reached anywhere between 205-210°F.
How to Bake Sweet Potatoes In the Oven
- Start by preheating your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Meanwhile, line a baking tray or dish with foil or parchment paper.
- With a fork or a sharp knife, firmly stab a few holes or slits in the sweet potato. This helps the steam to escape, preventing an explosion in your oven.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes. By this time, you should be able to poke the sweet potato with a knife or fork and the flesh will easily yield.
How Long to Bake Sweet Potatoes
Using an oven temp of 425 degrees Fahrenheit, a medium-sized sweet potato (3-4 inches) will be done in 40-50 minutes. For super soft and fluffy sweet potatoes, you can leave them in the oven for an additional 5-10 minutes.
How to Store Baked Sweet Potatoes
Once your leftover sweet potatoes have completely cooled, store them in an airtight container or Ziploc bag. They’ll last up to 5 days in the fridge and can be reheated in the microwave, air fryer or oven.
Tips and Tricks
- For faster cooking, you can slice your sweet potatoes in half. Use a sharp knife to cut them lengthwise, drizzle with olive oil and a generous sprinkling of salt and black pepper. Place the skin side down on the foil or parchment paper and cook for 30 minutes.
- We don’t recommend wrapping your sweet potatoes in foil. For a nice, crispy skin, simply rub the outside of the sweet potato with olive oil and lay it bare on a baking tray lined with foil or parchment paper.
How to Serve Baked Sweet Potatoes
Baked sweet potatoes make a delicious side dish. Simply slice them in half and add butter, salt and black pepper, then serve with entrees like pork chops or salmon. Other simple toppings for sweet potatoes include Greek yogurt, sour cream, guacamole or tzatziki.
To enjoy sweet potatoes as a complete meal, the possibilities are endless! Use a fork to gently mash the sweet potato in the skin, then fill it with toppings like crumbled bacon, chopped veggies, diced avocados or pulled chicken.
Even leftover sweet potatoes can be transformed into a tasty new dish. Scoop out the soft flesh and use it for baked desserts like brownies or a sweet potato pie. Mashed sweet potatoes can be enjoyed as a side dish, or turned into a spicy dip for tortilla and pita chips.
You May Also Like
Baked Sweet Potato Recipe
- 2 sweet potatoes
- Line a baking tray or dish with aluminum foil or parchment paper and preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Use a fork or sharp knife to put holes or slits in the sweet potatoes. Rub olive oil on the skin and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Bake the sweet potato for 40-50 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when the flesh feels soft to the touch when poked with a fork.
- Remove the sweet potato from the oven, slice it in half lengthwise and add your favorite toppings.