Is Tequila Keto? You may want to have a drink to celebrate a certain occasion while on a keto diet. If you’re thinking of a tequila drink, you may wonder: are you allowed to indulge? Fortunately, you can, in moderation.
Here we will go over everything you need to know about tequila and whether you can enjoy it when you are on a keto.
What is Tequila?
Made from distilled juice and blue agave plant, tequila is simply an alcoholic drink that is traditionally made in Mexico.
It is a hard liquor and the alcohol by volume averages 50%. There isn’t any protein, fat, or fiber, making it perfect for the keto diet.
Is Tequila Keto-Friendly?
If tequila isn’t your drink of choice, it should be while on keto! It is keto-friendly with just 0 grams of carbohydrates, but should be consumed in moderation.
It is key to remember that excessive drinking can cause inflammation, liver damage, and chronic conditions.
How to Make Keto Tequila Drinks
The key here is to start with non-flavored tequila. Avoid mixing it with high-sugar drinks, such as fruit juices as it will cause the carb count to rise.
You can also mix it with other keto-friendly alcohol, sugar-free tonic, water, or club soda instead! If you like your drink sweet, you can add stevia or other keto-friendly sweeteners.
Other Keto-Friendly Alcohol Options
- Vodka: Another great option that has no carbs! If tequila isn’t your thing, order a vodka and diet soda to sip on it straight.
- Rum: Dark rum is a great option because it is carb-free. It’s a smooth drink that can be enjoyed as a shot.
- Keto Wines: Yes, they’re a thing! Companies like Dry Farm Wines make these fine drinks that contain no carbs, sugar, additives, or preservatives.
Drinks to Avoid For Keto Dieters
- Beer: Sorry beer lovers! This drink has 13 grams of carbs in one can! If you drink three, well you’re almost at your carb limit of the day with 40 grams!
- Sugary Cocktails: With over 15 grams of sugar per cup, it’s best to stay away from high-sugar drinks such as Sangaria, Bloody Mary, Moscow Mule, and Cosmopolitan.
You May Also Like
- Is Sour Cream Keto and Carbs in Sour Cream
- Is Peanut Butter Keto and Carbs in Peanut Butter
- Are Dates Keto and Carbs in Dates
Best Keto Tequila Cocktail Recipe
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1/2 jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice from 1 lime
- 1 ounce keto-friendly liqueur
- stevia to taste
- ice cubes
- salt chili powder, and lime wedges for rimming the class
- Salt the rim: Fill a small plate with salt. Rub a piece of lemon slice around the rim of the serving glass and immediately dip into the mixture of salt and chili powder. Set aside.
- Slice the jalapeno: Cut it into thin slices. Then remove the seeds.
- Make the spicy margarita mix: In a cocktail shaker, add ice, tequila, keto liqueur, lime juice, stevia, and jalapeno slices. Shake for about 20 seconds. Give it a taste and add more syrup or other ingredients if needed.
- Serve: Pour the mixture into the rimmed glass. Garnish with lime wedges and jalapeno slices. Serve and enjoy!