Blueberry French Toast Casserole has a delicious sweet custard with a crispy topping! It’s French toast baked with blueberries and cinnamon vanilla custard mixture. Bake and serve right away, or make it ahead for overnight French toast. It’s an easy recipe that’s great for a breakfast, brunch or dessert!
EASY FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
Blueberry French toast casserole is a classic dessert that is easy to make with a few simple ingredients. Just throw everything into a dish and the oven will do its magic!
French toast is stuffed with blueberries and delicious mixture, all baked to golden perfection! I like to take it to the next level by topping it with ice cream and caramel! It’s one of my favorite blueberry desserts!
PRO TIPS FOR MAKING BLUEBERRY FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
- The secrets to a great blueberry French toast bake is the right ratio of bread to custard mixtureso that you can get the perfect texture. Follow the instructions below to get the right ratio.
- If you don’t bake the assembled casserole right away and leave them in the refrigerator, you need to add 5-10 more baking time.
- If you love cream cheese as much as I do, you can easily turn this recipe into French toast bake with cream cheese. Just swap out the butter for the same amount of cream cheese and you will get a creamier consistency!
- Can I Use Frozen Blueberries for this Recipe? Yes, absolutely! Just defrost and drainthem first before adding to your casserole.
What’s the Best Way to Reheat this Casserole? Bake it in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes until cooked through.
HOW TO MAKE BLUEBERRY FRENCH TOAST
- Cut bread into 1-inch cubes and add them into a baking dish.
- Sprinkle blueberries on top.
- Mix together eggs, milk, melted butter, cinnamon, vanilla, sugar and salt.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the cubed bread and blueberries.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes.
You can assemble everything the night before and bake the French toast breakfast casserole the next morning!
WHAT KIND OF BREAD TO USE FOR FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
Since the bread is the base of this overnight French toast, it’s important to use high quality bread that can stand up well and doesn’t get mushy! Bread such as brioche, challah, French loaf and sourdough works well for this recipe.
MAKE AHEAD FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
Although you can bake it right away, I prefer to cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. The bread cube will soak up the mixture, resulting a more custardy and delicious blueberry breakfast casserole!
OVERNIGHT FRENCH TOAST BAKED IN OVEN
Heat the oven to 350°F. If you bake it immediately after assembling them, it will take about 35-45 minutes. If you leave it overnight in the refrigerator and bake it the next morning, you need to bake it for about 40-50 minutes until the center is firm and surface is lightly brown.
Blueberry French toast casserole can be served warm or at room temperature. For leftovers, you can cover it tightly and store it in your refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze your French toast casserole for up to 3 months.
Blueberry French Toast Bake
Blueberry French Toast Casserole:
- 1 large loaf bread challah, French loaf, etc. Cubed, about 10 cups
- 2 ½ cups blueberries fresh or frozen
- 5 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- pinch salt
Optional Toppings for Serving:
- powdered sugar
- vanilla ice cream
- caramel sauce
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 13X9 inch baking dish and set aside.
On a cutting board, cut bread into 1-inch cubes.
Add bread cubes into prepared baking dish and sprinkle blueberries evenly across the top.
In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, milk, melted butter, cinnamon, vanilla, sugar and salt.
Pour the mixture evenly over the cubed bread and blueberries.
(If bake immediately) Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
(If make ahead the night before) Bake for 40-50 minutes.
Remove from the oven set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
Dust with optional powdered sugar. Serve with ice cream and drizzle with caramel sauce!
MORE DESSERT RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
View All Dessert Recipes