Are sunflower seeds keto-friendly? How many carbs are in sunflower seeds? If you are not sure which snacks are safe to eat and which are off-limits on a keto diet, keep reading to find out more about sunflower seeds and how they fit into a keto lifestyle.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Are Sunflower Seeds Keto-Friendly?
Sunflower seeds are a great ketogenic snack. They are low in carbs, have low to moderate protein, and are high in fat. They’re a salty and crunchy snack to satiate your appetite without kicking yourself out of ketosis.
Be careful not to consume too many. They are low-carb but too many of them can be negative for your diet. Hulled seeds are the best option.
How Many Net Carbs In Sunflower Seeds?
There are just 3g of net carbs in 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds (shelled), as per the USDA. There are 6.9g of total carbs and 3.8g of fiber.
There are many health benefits to eating sunflower seeds. Here are some health benefits you may not have known about:
- Loaded with iron, sunflower seeds help transport oxygen from the lungs throughout the body.
- They have phytochemicals, which help lower bad cholesterol levels.
- They have magnesium which helps calm nerves, relieve stress, and minimize migraines.
- They are a great source of vitamin E and antioxidants.
- They can help prevent the growth of cancer cells and help fight against colon, prostate, and breast cancer cells.
How to Store Sunflower Seeds
Sunflower seeds keep well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 months. You can also freeze them. When purchasing whole sunflower seeds, verify the best-before date.
Whole seeds are usually safe to eat up to four months past the best-before date. They can last up to one year if frozen.
Sunflower Seeds Nutrition (Macros)
How Many Carbs In Sunflower Seeds?
There are 6.5g of carbs in 1/4 cup of seed kernels. Half of those carbs come from fiber.
The calories in sunflower seeds are mainly made up of fat. There are 19g of fat per 1/4 cup serving.
There are 6g of protein per 1/4 cup serving.
There are 207 calories per 1/4 cup serving. Like most other nuts and seeds, they are high in calories and fat.
How Many Sunflower Seeds Can I Eat on Keto?
With 3g of net carbs per serving (1/4 cup), you can safely eat 6 to 10 servings per day while following a keto diet.
How Many Carbs are in 1/4 Cup of Sunflower Seeds?
There are about 6.5 g of carbs per serving (1/4 cup) of sunflower seeds, according to the USDA.
How Many Carbs in Sunflower Seeds Without Shell?
Shelled sunflower seeds have 6.5g of carbs per serving (1/4 cup).
Are Sunflower Seeds High in Carbs?
Sunflower seeds are a healthy, low-carb snack. They have lots of fat, protein, and fiber, as well as other nutrients. They are a great keto option since they have very few carbs.
How Many Net Carbs Are in 1 Cup of Sunflower Seeds?
As per the USDA, there are 12.2g of net carbs in one cup of sunflower seeds.
Are Sunflower Seeds Good For Weight Loss?
Sunflower seeds are excellent appetite suppressants. They offer healthy fats and fibre, making them nutritious snacks.
Sunflower seeds do contain 207 calories per 1/4 cup, so keep your portions limited. Too many sunflower seeds can cause weight gain due to their fat content.
Best Keto Sunflower Seeds Recipes
Covered in sweet milk chocolate and topped with flakey sea salt, this is a quick and easy snack that takes just 30 minutes to prepare. Satisfy your salty and sweet cravings with one delicious snack!
- Net Carbs: 1.6 g
- Total Carbs: 10 g
- Calories: 132
- Fat: 11.2 g
- Protein: 2.9 g
Loaded with savory spice, these roasted sunflower seeds are perfect on top of salads, in soups, dips, or over pasta dishes. Add a spicy crunch to any dish with these tasty snacks or enjoy them on their own.
- Net Carbs: 2.1 g
- Total Carbs: 3.6 g
- Calories: 114.4
- Fat: 10.4 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
With just a handful of ingredients, these low-carb keto crackers are so delicious. Pair them with your favorite dips or cheese for a balanced, satisfying snack.
- Net Carbs: 3 g
- Total Carbs: 6 g
- Calories: 151
- Fat: 13 g
- Protein: 4 g
Enjoy sandwiches on a keto diet with this nut-free, keto bread recipe. Made with sunflower seed flour, there are only 3g of net carbs per slice. This bread is also egg-free and dairy-free.
- Net Carbs: 3.3 g
- Total Carbs: 7.7 g
- Calories: 132.6
- Fat: 10.2 g
- Protein: 4.4 g
You May Also Like
- Are Chia Seeds Keto and Carbs in Chia Seeds
- Are Black Beans Keto and Carbs in Black Beans
- Are Lentils Keto and Carbs in Lentils
Keto Sunflower Seed Crackers Recipe
- 1 cup raw sunflower seed kernels
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 325°F.
- In a food processor, add kernels and parmesan. Process until super fine.
- Add water and continue to pulse a few more times. Do this until a dough begins to form.
- Spread dough onto a silicone mat and cover it with a second silicone mat. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until it fills out the mat.
- Slice the dough gently into squares or rectangles (do not cut all the way through). This should make about 32 crackers, depending on the size and shape.
- Bake the crackers until they have hardened, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Allow them to cool down completely before breaking them apart. Store in an airtight container.