This post may contain affiliate links.
Please read my disclosure policy.
Udon noodles are thick Japanese noodles that can be enjoyed in stir-fries, salads, and soups. They’re filling, comforting and easy to prepare, making them ideal for busy weeknights! We’ve rounded up 11 of the best Udon Noodle Recipes, each of which is quick, easy to make, and full of delicious flavor!
What are Udon Noodles?
Udon is a type of thick Japanese noodle made with wheat flour. It is considered a comfort food among Japanese people and is a staple in Japanese cuisine. Udon is often served in soups, stir-fries, and salads.
What Do Udon Noodles Taste Like?
Udon noodles are mildly flavored and have a bouncy, chewy texture. They are versatile, easy to cook, and delicious in hot foods as well as cold salads.
How to Cook Udon Noodles
Udon noodles cook quite quickly. Add one packet of noodles per serving to a pot of boiling water. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then drain. Add the cooked noodles to a bowl with udon noodle soup and serve with your favorite toppings.
Udon vs Soba Noodles
Udon noodles are thick and white in color, and have a bouncy, chewy texture. Soba noodles are thin, similar to spaghetti, and are brown. Udon is typically served in noodle soups with hot broth, in stir-fries, and in cold salads.
Best Udon Noodle Recipes
Serve this flavorful beef udon stir-fry with gyoza dumplings for the perfect Japanese-themed meal! It takes about 20 minutes to prepare and is full of delicious flavor.
You’ll love the flavors of this one-dish stir-fried udon noodle dish! Use whatever veggies you have on hand, and your favorite protein. It’s ready to enjoy in just 15 minutes – making it ideal for busy weeknights!
Your family will rave about the flavors of this simple udon stir-fry! It has a delicious sauce that’s the perfect blend of savory, tart, sweet and spicy.
You’ll love the flavors of this easy udon noodle soup, and it has just 257 calories per serving! Serve it to your family on Meatless Mondays.
This dish is perfect if you’re a fan of spicy food. It’s loaded with veggies and has just the right amount of heat.
Serve this satisfying udon noodle soup as a satisfying lunch when the weather is cold! It takes just 10 minutes to make and can be customized with your favorite toppings.
Tender udon noodles topped with crispy tempura shrimp is a match made in food heaven! Enjoy this dish for lunch or as a light evening meal.
Simple and nourishing, this dish can also be enjoyed for breakfast! Each serving is topped with an egg, and is an excellent source of protein.
Shellfish lovers will enjoy the combination of shrimp, udon noodles, and veggies in this dish. It’s ready to enjoy in less than 30 minutes and is super easy to make!
This simple udon dish features a sweet and salty hoisin sauce that pairs beautifully with the chicken. Serve it to your family for an easy-breezy weeknight meal!
Each serving of this delicious udon noodle dish has 21 grams of healthy protein and 6 grams of fiber! Make a plan to serve it at next week’s Meatless Monday.
Easy Udon Stir Fry Recipe
For the Udon Noodles
- 13 ounces udon noodles vacuum-packed
- 2 cups vegetables of your choice
- 1 stalk green onions sliced
- 4 ounces ground pork or beef, chicken, and turkey,
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Make the Sauce
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
Cook the Udon Noodles
- Remove the udon noodles from the package and add to a pot of boiling water. Stir gently for 1-2 minutes until the noodles are separated and pliable. Note that the noodles are pre-cooked and won’t need a lot of cooking time. Avoid overcooking as they will become mushy.
- Rinse and drain the noodles under cold water. If you will not use it right away, drizzle with a little oil to prevent them from sticking.
- Heat a wok or a large pan over high heat and add the oil. Add the ground meat and stir fry until almost cooked. Add the vegetables and stir fry until the meat is fully cooked and the vegetables are tender. Add the noodles, sauce, and scallions to the wok. Continue to stir fry for about 3 minutes or until well combined. Serve immediately and enjoy.