Shrimp is a versatile type of shellfish that can be enjoyed in many ways. It’s delicious in salads, stir fries, soups, and more. If you have cooked shrimp in your fridge, you want to ensure that it’s properly stored to keep it fresh. In this post, we’ll share some guidelines on how to safely store cooked shrimp in the fridge.
How Long Can Cooked Shrimp Stay Fresh In The Fridge?
According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), cooked shrimp should be stored in the fridge at a temperature of 40°F or below to avoid the development of bacteria that can cause foodborne illnesses.
Properly stored cooked shrimp that has never been frozen can remain at room temperature for no longer than 2 hours, in the fridge for 3-4 days, and in the freezer for 6-10 months. Note that canned cooked shrimp must be removed from the can and transferred to a freezer-safe container before freezing.
Tips for Storing Cooked Shrimp Properly
- Use resealable plastic bags or shallow airtight food containers. Be sure to remove as much excess air as possible from resealable plastic bags.
- Shrimp can also be tightly wrapped in foil.
- The ideal freezer temperature is 0°F or below.
How Long Does Thawed Shrimp Last In The Fridge?
Thawed shrimp can remain in the fridge for up to four days. After this timeframe, it’s best to discard the shrimp as it may have spoiled.
How to Thaw Frozen Cooked Shrimp
The safest way to thaw frozen cooked shrimp is in the fridge for at least 12 hours. To speed up the process, the shrimp can be carefully thawed in the microwave or in the sink using warm water. Note that frozen shrimp that has been thawed cannot be re-frozen and should be eaten as soon as possible or kept in the fridge for no longer than 4 days.
How to Tell When the Cooked Shrimp Has Gone Bad
- When shrimp has gone bad it may have a strong or unpleasant smell that’s similar to ammonia. If you’re unsure, it’s best to toss it.
- The shrimp may have developed dark, black, or discolored spots.
- If the shrimp is soft instead of firm and/or feels sticky or slimy to the touch, it’s best to throw it away.
What’s the best Way to Reheat Cooked Shrimp that Has Been Kept in the Fridge?
Steaming is one of the best ways to reheat cooked shrimp. Other options include using the microwave or gently reheating in a skillet.
Can You Eat Cooked Shrimp After 5 Days?
If cooked shrimp has been frozen it can be eaten for up to 5 days. However, cooked shrimp that’s been stored in the fridge should be eaten within three to four days.
Can I Eat Cold Cooked Shrimp?
Yes, cooked shrimp can be eaten cold or warm. Just ensure that the shrimp is not left at room temperature for longer than two hours.
How to Store Cooked Shrimp in the Fridge
- 1 lb cooked shrimp
- Resealable bags
- Let the cooked shrimp cool to room temperature.
- Place the shrimp into the resealable bags. Remove as much excess air as possible before sealing the bags.
- Store the shrimp in the fridge for three to four days.
Leave a Reply