Greek food is the ultimate in Mediterranean cuisine. Many Greek desserts have been passed down through generations, along with other family traditions. We’ve rounded up 12 Traditional Greek Desserts that are easy to make at home.
Greeks love using fresh ingredients and flavorful spices in their meals and this is also true for their desserts. Quite like their entrees, Greek desserts often contain many spices like cinnamon, clove, and tahini.
What are the Most Popular Greek Desserts?
Many non-Greeks are familiar with baklava, a dessert made using layers of flaky filo pastry, chopped nuts, and sweet paste. The dessert was first created many centuries ago and is enjoyed in several other Eastern European countries.
What is a Typical Greek Pastry?
Greek pastries often use phyllo (filo) – a very thin unleavened dough that is baked into a flaky pastry. Filo is used to make Baklava and several other Greek pastries. You may also find Greek yogurt, dried fruits, and tahini are in many Greek pastries.
Popular Greek Desserts
- Greek Chocolate and Biscuits (Mosaiko): Mosaiko is a soft, creamy chocolate dessert that can be prepared in just 10 minutes. Enjoy with a scoop of ice cream for an indulgent treat.
- Apple Spice Cake (Milopita): The warm, smoky flavors of cinnamon and cloves are the perfect pairing for a sweet apple filling. Milopita is a delicious Greek-inspired holiday dessert.
- Greek Cookies (Koulourakia): These traditional cookies are usually served during Greek Easter. They’re pleasantly crunchy, not too sweet and fun to make.
Healthy Greek Desserts
- Fruity Frozen Yogurt Bites: Yogurt bites are creamy, fruity and come in at less than 80 calories each. Use Greek yogurt to make this sweet treat healthy.
- Healthy Honey Greek Yogurt Cheesecake: At under 200 calories per slice, this Greek yogurt honey cheesecake is totally guilt-free. Drizzle with real honey and top with caramelized nuts.
- 5-Minute Healthy Greek Frozen Yogurt: Frozen green yogurt can be used to make a creamy, healthy dessert with your favorite fruits. It’s less calories than ice cream without sacrificing the taste you love.
Easy Vegan Greek Dessert Recipes
- Greek Orange Cake: With a burst of real citrus flavor and hints of clove and cinnamon, this cake is perfect for fall. This Greek dessert contains no eggs or dairy.
- Vegan Tahini Cake (Tahinopita): Made with tahini, orange and dried fruit, Tahinopita is traditionally eaten during the Lenten season. If you want a more modern take, add dark chocolate chips and dried cranberries.
- Vegan Greek Cake (Fanouropita): This vegan-friendly cake is moist, tender and topped with a chocolate-tahini ganache. The traditional Greek dessert is easy to make and irresistibly delicious.
Greek Pastry Recipes
- Baklava Recipe: Layers of crispy, flaky pastry smothered in honey and a creamy, cinnamon-nut paste. Make authentic baklava from scratch with this simple recipe.
- Kataifi Pastry: Looking for a new sweet treat to enjoy? Kataifi is the Middle Eastern dessert that you’ve got to try.
- Greek Diples Recipe: During a traditional Greek Christmas, you’re sure to find a few of these nutty, honey-drizzled desserts. Here’s a simplified version of authentic Green diples.
You May Also Like
12 Traditional Greek Desserts (Baklava Recipe & More)
- 16 oz phyllo dough thawed
- 16 oz walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, add walnuts, ground cinnamon, cardamom, and salt. Blend until walnuts are well chopped.
- Place 8 layers of phyllo dough on the baking sheet, brushing each layer with melted butter.
- Spread 2/3 cup of the walnut mixture on top of the dough evenly.
- Add another 5 layers of the phyllo dough and brush each layer with butter.
- Add another 2/3 cup of the walnuts. Repeat until you use up all the dough and walnut mixture.
- Cut the assembled baklava into squares with your desired sizes.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Let it cool for 15-20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!