These Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie Cups are like mini apple pies featuring a sweet apple pie filling packed inside a fluffy and soft cinnamon roll crust. They’re a mouthwatering and bite-size dessert baked in a muffin tin. You can easily make them with only 3 ingredients in 20 minutes!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
These mini cinnamon roll apple pies have the most delicious and fluffy cinnamon roll crust! Yes, we use cinnamon roll as the crust! If you haven’t tried the combination of cinnamon buns and apple pie, you are missing out! It’s an autumn dessert at it’s best. Unlike the classic apple pie with a flaky crust, these apple pie cups are baked in the soft and pillowy cinnamon roll crust, and then topped with your favorite icing, caramel sauce or ice cream.
To save time, I like to use refrigerated Pillsbury cinnamon rolls, which works great for this recipe. These individual bite-sized mini pies are great for fall, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Best pie dessert ever!
This recipe is an outrageously simple treat that only requires 3 ingredients:
- Cooking spray
- Refrigerated cinnamon roll dough (I used Pillsbury’s regular size dough)
- Apple pie filling (I used canned)
You can serve them on their own or top with optional icing from the dough package or other toppings.
There’s no mixing, chopping, pastry rolling or anything! All you need is a 12-cup standard muffin tin and you’re good to go.
Tips for Making the Best Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie Cups
- Regular size cinnamon roll works best for standard size muffin tins. If you use grand-sized cinnamon roll dough, you’ll need to cut off any outer ring to fit into your muffin tin. You can reuse the leftover strips to make some extra cups. It’s a bit of extra piecing together but will be fine.
- Make sure to flatten each cinnamon roll before placing it in the muffin pan, otherwise, they’ll puff up too much.
- Dice your apple slices into the smaller pieces (1/2 inch) if yours are too big. When adding the filling into the muffin tin, make sure to drain the juices first.
- You can swap out the apple pie fillings for pecan or pumpkin.
More Easy Dessert Recipes You’ll Love
Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie Cups (+VIDEO)
- Nonstick baking spray
- 2 packages refrigerated cinnamon rolls regular size, 16-18 oz each
- 21 ounce can apple pie filling
- ice cream or icing from cinnamon roll package optional for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Spray a 12-cup standard muffin tin with nonstick baking spray.
- Open cinnamon rolls and flatten each one with a rolling pin (dust with flour if you find it too sticky.)
- Place the flattened cinnamon rolls into each muffin tin. Press gently into the muffin tin, and cut off extra around the edges.
- Fill each cup with apple pie filing. If your apple pieces are too big, make sure to cut them into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drizzle icing on top or serve with ice cream. (If you are not eating right away, wait until the pie cups cool before drizzling with icing.)
- If using large size cinnamon rolls (grands), you’ll need to cut the rolls to fit your muffin pan. You can use the leftover strips to make some extra cups.
- You can prepare these apple pie cups the day before so they’re ready to go the next day!