When chicken livers are properly cooked, they absolutely delicious! It’s also an excellent source of iron, easy to source, and is very economical.
Like chicken gizzard and chicken feet, chicken livers are a less popular part of the chicken. But they are actually tender and flavorful with a few tips. We’ve included a recipe for pan-fried chicken liver that just might change your mind!
What Does Chicken Liver Taste Like
Properly cooked chicken livers are tender and creamy. They taste quite different than chicken meat but can be quite delicious with some seasoning.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Livers
- Olive Oil
- Dried Oregano
- Garlic Powder
- Cooking Wine
How to Cook Chicken Livers
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for a few minutes.
- Add chicken livers, salt, oregano, and garlic powder and cook for about 5 minutes until golden on all sides.
- Reduce the heat and add the wine or broth and the lemon juice until it simmers. Partially cover the skillet and stir occasionally with a wooden spoon for about 5-8 minutes until the onions and garlic are caramelized and most of the liquid is absorbed. Serve with lemon wedges and your favorite sides.
Tips and Tricks
- Cook liver over medium heat and don’t let the pan get too hot. Adding liver to a hot pan can cause it to splatter and burst.
- According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), internal poultry organs should be cooked until an instant-read thermometer reaches 165 °F.
- Don’t overcook chicken livers. It should still be pink in the middle when it’s done. Overcooking will cause the liver to become leathery and grainy.
What Can I Serve with Chicken Livers?
Chicken liver pairs well with a variety of vegetables. Sliced onion is a classic choice. Serve it with your favorite green veggies and potatoes or rice!
Chicken Livers Health Benefits
Chicken liver is rich in a variety of vitamins and minerals. It’s a great source of iron, folate and many other nutrients. It’s often called a superfood because it’s packed with nutrients that can help to keep our bodies healthy.
How to Store Chicken Livers
Leftover chicken liver can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to four days, or frozen for up to four months in a freezer-safe container. Note that it’s best to enjoy chicken liver when it’s fresh as the texture will likely change after it has been frozen and thawed. To reheat leftover chicken liver, use a skillet over medium heat and heat just until warmed through.
Is Chicken Liver Healthy?
Chicken liver is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. It’s also rich in iron, and protein, and low in calories.
Pan Fried Chicken Liver Recipe
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the liver, salt, oregano, and garlic powder and cook for about 5 minutes until golden on all sides.
- Reduce the heat and add the wine or broth and the lemon juice until it simmers. Partially cover the skillet and stir occasionally with a wooden spoon for about 5-8 minutes until the onions and garlic are caramelized and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- When the liver is cooked and the garlic and onions are nicely caramelized, serve immediately with lemon wedges and your favorite sides.