There’s nothing like a summer dessert featuring fresh and sweet-tart cherries. We’ve gathered the 17 Best Cherry Recipes to satisfy every craving. Want a show-stopping cherry dessert for a party? Try our Cherry Pie and Cherry Clafoutis. Feel like a healthy treat? Try Cherry Crisp. Looking for something savory? We’ve got delicious Oven Roasted Cherry Chicken. Cannot wait until cherry season? You’ll find some amazing recipes with canned cherries too!
Fresh cherries are sweet and tart with a delightful flavor. While you can enjoy them fresh out of your hand, sometimes we’re in the mood to dress them up a little bit. With these easy cherry recipes, you can make the most out of cherry season!
What to Do with Lots of Fresh Cherries?
Cherries are such a versatile ingredient and you can never have too many of them! It’s easy to cook up a batch of cherry jam. For canning, you can store canned jam in a cool place for up to one year. You can also use cherries in pies, cakes, and other pastries, or in savory dishes, vegetable or fruit salads, and desserts.
Can You Freeze Fresh Cherries?
A good way to preserve cherries is to freeze them. Frozen cherries can keep from 6 months up to a year. You can use them in smoothies and sorbets, or to bake into pies. The possibilities are endless!
Dessert Cherry Recipes
- Cherry Clafoutis: Fruity, creamy, sweet, and tart, this French dessert is surprisingly easy to make! Pre-pitted fresh cherries are baked in a simple batter of milk, sugar, eggs, and flour. Finish it off with a dusting of powdered sugar and you have a mouth-watering dessert that’s ready to eat!
- Classic Cherry Pie: A homemade cherry pie filling with fresh cherries, baked inside a flaky pie crust – it’s sweet, tart, and irresistibly delicious! Serve with ice cream or whipped cream for a dreamy dessert everyone will love!
- Cherry Coffee Cake: Topped with a crumbly crown and with a delicious cherry filling, this is the perfect summertime treat to complete a breakfast or brunch menu.
- Cherry Galette: A quick and easy recipe to make, the cherry galette is a delicious tart made with sweet fresh cherries! You can pair it with your favorite ice cream for a more indulgent dessert!
- Homemade Cherry Pie Filling: As the name suggests, a homemade cherry pie filling is the secret to a great pie. But it’s so good, you can use it as a topping for smoothies, parfaits, and ice cream or your favorite breakfast foods off the griddle. You can also pair it with cheesecake or as a tart filling. There are endless possibilities!
Savory Cherry Recipes
- Oven Roasted Cherry Chicken with Rosemary: If you like savory meals with a hint of sweetness, then you’ll love this rosemary and chicken recipe with cherries, all roasted in a single pan.
- Savory Cherry Compote: Fresh cherries are cooked in wine with walnuts, rosemary, shallots, and honey – a great topping for duck, pork, or chicken.
- Savory Cherry Hand Pies with Chicken: Loaded with charred chicken, caramelized onions, and sweet-tart cherries, these hand pies are mouth-watering delicious and a serious crowd-pleaser!
Healthy Cherry Recipes
- Healthy Cherry Crisp: This recipe features sweet cherries and a tasty topping of almonds and oats. With just a few simple ingredients, it’s quick to make and amazingly delicious!
- Healthy Cherry Oatmeal Muffins: These cherry oatmeal muffins are healthy and delicious. There is a good balance combining moist muffins and a crumbly oatmeal topping. Completed with cherries and honey, it’s a satisfying dessert for summer.
- Healthy Cherry Crumble: Sweet and sour cherries are topping with spiced oat streusel. This healthy crumble is cozy, comforting, and easy to make. Plus it’s gluten-free and vegan – the perfect wholesome treat for summer!
Canned Cherry Recipes
- Easy Cherry Dump Cake: Simply dump all of the ingredients into a pan and bake! This cherry dump cake is made with cake mix and canned cherry pie filling. It’s one of my go-to desserts to make when I’m in a hurry!
- Cherry Delight Recipe: This crowd-pleaser is made of a layer of cheesecake with a topping of canned cherry pie filling. If you’re a fan of no-bake desserts, then this recipe is perfect for you.
Frozen Cherry Recipes
- Sweet Cherry Cobbler: A summertime favorite, this sweet cherry cobbler is made with sweet frozen cherries, and topped with a soft biscuit layer! Simple, quick, and delicious!
- Sweet Cherry Jam: If fresh cherries aren’t within reach, don’t hesitate to use frozen cherries. This cherry jam is made with sweet-tart cherries with a hint of fresh lemon juice. Perfect for spreading onto some homemade biscuits, French Toast, or as a topping for waffles or ice cream!
- Best Cherry Cheesecake: Smooth, creamy, and full of fruity flavors, this cherry cheesecake is a family favorite and very easy to make! Made with frozen pitted cherries, you can enjoy this showstopping dessert year-round!
- Chocolate Cherry Upside Down Cake: Made with frozen cherries and chocolate cake batter, this chocolate cherry upside-down cake is so easy to make and takes about 35 minutes in the oven. Serve it with a scoop of ice cream for an amazing weeknight dessert.
17 Best Cherry Recipes (Cherry Clafoutis Recipe & More)
- 3 cups fresh cherries (pitted)
- unsalted butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- pinch of salt
- optional powdered sugar for dusting
- Clean the cherries, remove the stems and pits of the cherries.
- Preheat oven to 350°F degree.
- Grease a 9-inch round baking dish. Then sprinkle granulated sugar evenly. Set aside.
- Place the cherries in the prepared baking dish in one single layer.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Add the melted butter and mix until combined.
- Pour in milk and mix well.
- Pour the batter over the cherries in the baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until golden on the edges.
- Remove the dish from the oven and let it rest for about 30 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve and enjoy!