Also known as the American buffalo, bison meat is much leaner in comparison to beef. This makes it a great option for those looking to reduce their calorie and fat intake. We’ve rounded up 12 of the Best Ground Bison Recipes for you to try at home.
Ground bison taste similar to ground beef, but it has a slightly sweet undertone that sets it apart. We like it as it’s not gamey, and more tender and healthier than ground beef.
What Can You Do with Ground Bison?
Pretty much anything that you can do with ground beef! From tacos to burgers to meatballs, ground bison allows you to enjoy a healthier version of your favorite meaty dishes. Because of its higher protein content, bison is a great choice for anyone following the keto lifestyle or any other high-protein diet.
Wondering About the Taste of Ground Bison?
It’s very similar to the taste of beef, with a slightly sweeter flavor. Bison meat isn’t gamey and is less greasy than beef. The next time you spot ground bison at the butcher’s, pick up a pack and give one of these dishes a try.
What is the Best Way to Cook Ground Bison?
Because bison is a very lean red meat, it does well in a skillet at moderate heat. Using high heat may cause overcooking and dryness. For a juicy burger or meatball, sear the meat until it’s medium-rare.
Is Ground Bison Healthier Than Ground Beef?
Ground bison is a healthier option than ground beef in many ways. As a leaner meat, bison has less fat and calories than beef. Ground bison is also higher in protein, making it ideal for building muscle or meeting your macros.
Is Ground Bison Flavorful?
Ground bison is a flavorful meal with a taste that is quite similar to beef. Though it has a lower fat content, ground bison is full of flavor without being gamey. Like other ground meats, bison takes on the flavor of seasonings very well.
Best Ground Bison Recipes
For your next backyard barbecue, give these juicy bison burgers a try. The meat is seasoned with onion, garlic and paprika for a flavorful and satisfying burger.
Elevate your chili by using premium ground bison. This “set it and forget it” crock pot recipe produces a flavorful chili that’s paleo and Whole 30 friendly.
When the nights get “chilly”, a warm, hearty bowl of chili is just what you need. Replace beans with sweet potatoes for a dish that’s as nourishing as it is comforting.
Here’s a simple, comforting casserole the whole family will enjoy. Made with flavorful ground bison, Tater Tots and mixed veggies for a wholesome and filling meal.
The humble shepherd’s pie gets a major upgrade with premium ground bison, chopped rosemary and a delicate potato topping. Save this recipe for your next family gathering or dinner party.
This healthful soup features high-protein ground bison and tons of fresh veggies. Do future you a favour by freezing the leftovers for a quick microwavable dinner on lazy nights.
Looking for a low-effort meal that tastes like it took all day? This flavorful basil bison chili comes together in one pot for easy cooking and cleanup.
You May Also Like
Best Ground Bison Chili Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 2 pounds ground bison
- 2 sweet potatoes diced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 4 ounces canned green chilies undrained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup water
- Avocado sliced, for toppings
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add onion and sauté for 3 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds. Pour everything into a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Bring the skillet back up to medium-high heat, and add in the bison. Using a wooden spoon, break it up into crumbles. Add salt and pepper. Cook until the bison starts to brown. Pour the skillet contents into a slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients (minus the toppings) to the slow cooker and stir everything together. Cover with the lid and cook on high heat for about 4 hours (or low for 6-7 hours), or until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender.
- Top with sliced avocado, and serve.