This post may contain affiliate links.
Please read my disclosure policy.
French fries are a tasty treat that just about everyone loves. They’re delicious with burgers, sandwiches, battered fish, and on their own! But what if you have leftover French fries? We’ll share with you 3 best ways to reheat leftover fries.
Nobody wants to eat fries that are limp and soggy. The best fries are hot, crispy, and perfectly seasoned with a dash of salt. If you’ve struggled with reheating fries in the past, we have great news! Reheating fries to crispy perfection is possible. We’ve included 3 ways to help you get perfect results.
If you have an oven, a stovetop, or an air fryer, get ready to chow down on some hot, crispy, and delicious reheated French fries!
What is the Best Way to Make Leftover Fries Crispy?
The great news is there are a few methods to reheat fries that turn out tender on the inside and crispy on the outside. An air fryer works best, but you can still get deliciously crispy leftover fries using your oven or stovetop.
Here’s a tip: It’s important to store leftover fries in an airtight container in the fridge. When you’re ready to reheat the fries, remove them from the fridge and bring them to room temperature first.
Why Are My Fries Soggy?
Fries that have been refrigerated in a take-out container or a doggie bag can get soggy. The best way to store leftover fries is in the fridge in an airtight container, for up to 2 days. Use one of the methods below to reheat your fries. Don’t worry, even soggy fries can be crisped up again!
Method 1: Reheating Fries in the Oven
Using your oven to reheat fries is easy, as long as you follow these simple steps. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grab a large piece of aluminum foil and crumple it, then lay it over a cookie sheet, making sure the entire cookie sheet is covered. The crumpled surface of the foil is similar to a wire rack, allowing the fries to be exposed to the heat. Spread the fries over the foil in a single layer and spritz them with cooking spray. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until the fries are golden and crispy.
Method 2: In an Air Fryer
This method is the best overall, but you’re limited to the size of the air fryer basket. Preheat the air fryer to 350°F. Add the fries to the basket in an even layer and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. If you have a lot of fries to reheat, you’ll have to cook them in batches.
Method 3: On the Stove: Deep Fry it the Second Time
Refrying is a great way to crisp-up leftover fries. Just add a few tablespoons of canola or vegetable oil to a heavy-bottomed skillet set at medium-high. Add the fries and cook for a few minutes, flipping once. Drain on paper towels, season to taste, and enjoy!
Never Microwave French Fries
Microwave ovens should never be used to reheat fries because when you cook with a microwave, steam is produced. If you’ve tried to reheat fries in the microwave before, you know the result is sad, soggy, unappetizing fries.
Tips & Tricks
- Roast at a high temperature in the oven for the best result: High heat produces fries that are nice and crispy. Be sure to preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Place the fries on a layer of crumpled foil before roasting for extra crispy texture: The surface of crumpled foil is similar to a wire rack and the fries won’t fall through the cracks! It also allows the fries to be evenly exposed to the heat.
- Single layer is important: Spreading the fries in a single layer, without touching, results in fries that are crispy on all sides.
How Long to Reheat Leftover Fries in the Oven?
Preheat your oven to 400°F. Spread a large piece of crumpled aluminum foil on a cookie sheet, and add the fries. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes until crisp.
How Long to Reheat Leftover Fries in the Air Fryer?
After preheating to 350°F, add the fries to the basket, spread in a single layer, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
You May Also Like:
- How to Reheat Steak
- How to Reheat Crab Legs
- How to Reheat Rotisserie Chicken
- How to Reheat Lasagna in the Oven
- How to Reheat Pizza in the Oven
How to Reheat Leftover French Fries For the Best Result
- Leftover French fries
- Cooking spray
Reheating Fries in the Oven
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Grab a large piece of aluminum foil and crumple it, then lay it over a cookie sheet, making sure the entire cookie sheet is covered.
- Spread the fries over the foil in a single layer and spritz them with cooking spray.
- Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until the fries are golden and crispy.
Reheating Leftover Fries In an Air Fryer
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F.
- Add the fries to the basket in an even layer and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- If you have a lot of fries to reheat, you’ll have to cook them in batches.
Reheating French Fries On the Stove
- Just add a few tablespoons of canola or vegetable oil to a heavy bottomed skillet set at medium-high.
- Add the fries and cook for a few minutes, flipping once.
- Drain on paper towels, season to taste, and enjoy!