Easy Sardine Pizza Recipe
Sardine Pizza is my go-to meal when I have canned sardines and onions on hand. This classic Italian recipe is really easy and delicious. You’ll want to make this homemade pizza over and over again!
Servings 6 Slices
Homemade Pizza Dough
- 1 packet active dry yeast (2 ¼ teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm water 105-110°F
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese cubed or shredded
- 6-8 canned sardines (It’s best to use olive-oil packed sardines)
- 1/4 medium-sized red onion thinly sliced
- Optional chopped parsley for garnish.
Make Pizza Dough (skip this step if you use store-bought dough)
In a small bowl, combine yeast, sugar, and warm water. Let it sit for 10 minutes, and you should see the yeast foaming up.
Mix together flour, salt, olive oil and yeast mixture with a wooden spoon until the dough just begins to come together.
Transfer the dough to a well-floured cutting board. Knead the dough by hand for about 5-8 minutes until it’s soft and elastic.
Then place the dough in a greased mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm and dry area for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
Make Sardine Pizza
Preheat the oven to 450°F.
Stretch the dough by gently flattening the dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer it to a non-stick pizza pan or pizza stone. Use a fork to poke holes across the surface of the dough.
Brush the dough lightly with olive oil. Add the tomato sauce and spread it evenly, leaving a 1/2-inch border on all sides. Add mozzarella, distributing it evenly over the surface.
Add sliced red onions, and sardines on top of the cheese.
Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes until the cheese is melted, and the crust is golden brown.
Remove the pizza from the oven, and transfer to a cutting board. Garnish with chopped parsley or basil. Slice and serve immediately.
- The homemade pizza dough can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours or frozen for 3 months.
- As each oven works differently, I recommend checking the doneness after 10 to 12 minutes.
- To reheat leftover pizza, bake it in the oven for about 5 minutes or until the crust is crispy.
Calories: 311kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 444mg | Potassium: 169mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 198IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 150mg | Iron: 3mg