Godzilla Roll Recipe
Godzilla Rolls are filled with crispy shrimp tempura, avocado and cucumber, all wrapped in nori seaweed sheets and seasoned rice. Then drizzle it with soy sauce or spicy mayo for some extra flavor.
Servings 24 pieces (3 rolls)
For Sushi Rice
- 1 cup sushi rice short-grain sushi rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoons sushi vinegar (or mix 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt )
For Godzilla Roll
- 6 oz pre-cooked shrimp tempura (about 8 pieces)
- ½ cucumber cut into thin slices
- 1 avocado cut into thin slices
- 2 sheets nori seaweed
Make Sushi Rice:
Add the rinsed rice and water to the rice cooker. Cook according to the instructions.
Once cooked, transfer to a large bowl and let it cool down slightly. When it’s still very warm, mix in the sushi vinegar (or the mixture of rice vinegar, sugar and salt).
Make Godzilla Rolls:
Lay out your bamboo mat with a piece of plastic wrap on top. (This will prevent your mat getting dirty.)
Cut off 1/3 of the nori seaweed sheet using kitchen scissors.
Place the remaining nori sheet towards the bottom of the mat, with the shiny side facing down.
Take 3/4 cup of cooked rice and evenly spread over nori while leaving 1/2 inch at the top of the sheet. (You can dip your hands into Tezu water* before handing the rice.)
Spread the rice in a thin layer. Don't use too much pressure, otherwise, you'll make the rice mushy.
Add shrimp tempura, avocado, and cucumber slices on top of the rice.
Place the thumbs underneath the bamboo mat and lift the edge up and over the filling. Roll the bamboo mat away from you and press the rice and filling together. Keep rolling until the ends meet.
Slice the sushi roll into 8 pieces. Serve and enjoy immediately.
- *To Make Tezu water: Mix together 1/4 cup water and 2 teaspoon rice vinegar.
- Why does my sushi roll fall apart? This could be caused by the wrong types of rice you use or you didn’t squeeze the rolls tightly enough. You need to tuck in and pull the bamboo mat while rolling.
Calories: 50kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 57mg | Potassium: 61mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 28IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 1mg