Hawaiian Butter Mochi Recipe (+VIDEO)
This classic Hawaiian Butter Mochi is soft, sticky, chewy, and buttery – melt-in-your-mouth delicious! A tropical treat made with mochiko glutinous rice flour and coconut cream, this mochi cake is incredibly easy to make. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make this dessert at home.
Servings 16 pieces
- 2 cups Mochiko glutinous sweet rice flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can 14-oz coconut cream (or canned coconut milk)
Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C), and line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper and set aside. (if double the recipe, you can use a 13*9-inch baking pan.)
Beat the eggs, and then add vanilla and milk. Mix well.
In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients: mochiko, sugar, and baking powder.
Add the dry ingredients to the egg and milk mixture. Mix well. (It’s better to use a spatula as the mixture is relatively thick.)
Add melted butter and coconut cream. Mix until the batter is completely smooth with no lumps.
Pour the batter into the baking pan. Use a spatula to smooth the surface.
Bake for 1 hour or until the cake turns golden brown.
Remove from the oven and allow the mochi cake to cool to room temperature. Then use the parchment to lift the cake out of the pan.
Use a sharp knife to cut into squares. (I like to cut off the edges and cut the cake into equal squares.)
- It’s important to line the baking pan with parchment paper as this will prevent the mochi cake from sticking to the pan.
- Make sure there are no lumps in the batter before baking. If there are bubbles on the surface, simply pop them out with a toothpick.
- The baking time may vary depending on your oven. I suggest checking after 50 minutes. If the surface is getting too dark but the inside hasn’t been cooked completely, you can cover with a piece of aluminum foil and keep baking.
- Make sure to let your cake cool down to room temperature before cutting.
Calories: 166kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 38mg | Potassium: 33mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 151IU | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg