Easy Chicken Casserole Recipe
Looking for something a bit more ethnic for dinner? Then try this chicken fajita casserole! Filled with onions, bell peppers, cheese, and fajita seasonings. It’s the perfect option when you’re looking for something low carb too!!
Servings 6 servings
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts split lengthwise, or chicken thigh (see note)
- 3 bell peppers red, yellow or green capsicum, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 large yellow onion or two medium onions (or white onion)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz Jack cheese shredded, or cheddar or Havarti (2 cups)
- fresh cilantro optional garnish
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) with the rack in the lower middle position. Turn on the convection/forced air if available.
Grease a 9×13” baking dish with oil and set aside. Arrange the split chicken breasts in a single layer in the prepared baking dish.
In a small bowl, combine the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Drizzle oil on top and sprinkle on half the fajita seasoning.
Add the sliced onions and bell peppers on top of the chicken. Sprinkle the remaining seasoning on top.
Top with the shredded cheese and then place the casserole in the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160°F (check by inserting an instant-read thermometer into the middle of a large piece.)
Garnish with optional cilantro and serve warm.
- Fajita Seasoning: You’ll need 2 tablespoons of seasoning if using storebought or a premade mix.
- Baking Time: Will be up to 5 minutes faster with convection turned on and using a glass or ceramic dish.
- Spicy: To make it spicy, add up to 1 teaspoon of cayenne to the seasonings and/or 1 sliced jalapeño along with the peppers.
- Make Ahead Tips: You can also make it ahead in the morning, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to one day before baking (add 10 minutes to baking time in this case). After baking, cool completely, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days. You can also freeze individual portions in airtight containers for up to 3 months.