How to Make Oshinko Roll
Oshinko is Japanese pickled vegetables packed with delicious flavors. My favorite is yellow radish (daikon) Oshinko – sweet, savory and refreshingly crunchy! They’re often rolled in sushi rice and seaweed sheet to make vegetarian Oshinko roll, or used as a side dish to accompany main dishes.
Servings 4 Rolls (32 Pieces)
For sushi rice:
- 1 cup sushi rice Japanese short grain rice such as California Calrose
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoons sushi vinegar or mixing 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt
Make the sushi rice
Wash the rice with cold water until the water runs clear. Add the rice and water to the rice maker and cook according to the instruction.
Once cooked, transfer the hot rice to a large bowl and let it cool down slightly. When it’s still very warm, stir in the sushi vinegar (the mixture of rice vinegar, sugar, and salt). Set aside.
Make Oshinko sushi rolls
Cut the picked radish lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick strips.
Lay out the bamboo mat with a piece of plastic wrap on top (this will make clean up easier).
Cut off 1/4 of the seaweed sheet. Then place the rest of the nori sheet on top of the bamboo, shinning side facing down.
Take 3/4 cup of cooked rice and evenly spread over nori while leaving ½ inch at the top of the sheet. (You can dip your hand in Tezu vinegar water* to prevent sticking.)
Place pickled radish strips on top of the rice. (As my radish is short, I use 6 strips for each roll. If yours is as long as the seaweed sheet, you'll only need 3 strips.)
Place the thumbs underneath the bamboo mat and lift the edge up and over the filling.
Roll the bamboo mat away from you and press the rice and filling together firmly.
Serve with soy sauce and wasabi if desired.
- * Tezu water for dipping hands: Mix together 1/4 cup water and 2 teaspoon rice vinegar.
- Don’t put warm sushi rice to the fridge to cool down as this will affect the taste and texture.
- Calories information: An 8-piece roll has 185 calories, with each piece about 23 calories.
Calories: 185kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 22mg | Potassium: 206mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 135IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg