Easy Corn Pone Recipe
We’re taking it all the way down to the South with this classic Corn Pone recipe! It doesn’t get any more traditional than authentic Southern Corn Pone, a twist of the popular cornbread. It's an eggless bread that’s simple, crispy, and golden brown.
- 2 cups cornmeal medium grind
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cooked corn kernels optional
- 1 ¼ cups boiling water
- vegetable oil for frying
In a large mixing bowl, add corn meal, baking powder, salt, sugar, and butter.
Pour in half of the boiling water, and mix with a spatula.
Add the rest of the boiling water, and mix well.
Add shredded cheese and corn kernels. Combine everything together using your hands.
Scoop out about 2 tablespoons of the mixture and shape into a ball, then flatten it out. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
In a cast-iron skillet over medium, add about 1-inch oil. Once the oil reaches 350˚F, add the uncooked pones into the pan very carefully. Don’t overcrowd the pan, and cook in batches.
Cook for about 5-6 minutes or until they turn golden brown, flipping every 1-2 minutes (Make sure that your oil is between 300˚-350˚F).
Remove the cooked pones to a paper towel lined plate. Serve and enjoy!
- Use hot water to make the batter for a better texture.
- Make sure to keep the oil temperature between 300-350˚F.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan and give each piece enough space to cook properly.
Calories: 214kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 361mg | Potassium: 143mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 161IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 1mg