Easy Lychee Jelly Recipe
Lychee Jelly is a jiggly Chinese dessert that's made with coconut water, lychee fruits, and agar agar. These delightful sweet cubes are a lovely treat on a hot summer day. You can use gelatin for a non-vegan option. Add it to your iced tea for a fruity alternative to boba bubble tea!
Servings 20 cubes
- 4 cups coconut water (You can also use plain water)
- 1 canned lychee (or fresh lychees)
- 2 tablespoons agar agar powder (or 1/3 cup agar agar flakes, or gelatin*)
- sugar to taste (I used 6 tablespoons)
Make the Jelly
Add 3 cups of coconut water in a saucepan (no heat yet), and sprinkle agar agar powder on top. Stir to mix.
Turn the heat on and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Once boiled, turn the heat to lowest, and continue to stir until the agar agar is thoroughly dissolved. (Make sure that there are no specks of agar agar powder remaining in the liquid.)
Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
Remove from the heat, and transfer the liquid to an 8-inch square baking pan. Add the remaining 1 cup of coconut water to help the mixture to cool down faster.
Sprinkle the small lychee pieces on top of the jelly mixture. Use a spoon or fork to push them down slightly and distribute evenly. (Make sure the water covers the lychee completely. If your water is too shallow, you'll need to cut your lychee into halves.)
Place the jelly in the fridge and chill for at least 2 hours to firm up.
- * If you use gelatin, you’ll need about 1 cup of gelatin powder. You can add slightly more for a firmer texture or less for a softer texture.
- Make sure to whisk the agar agar powder in the COLD liquid first. This will prevent any clumps from forming.
- It’s important to lower the heat immediately after the liquid hits a boil.
- Let the agar agar and sugar completely dissolve before removing from heat.
- Add sugar gradually to your preference.
Calories: 25kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 51mg | Potassium: 126mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg