Popeyes Fries Recipe
These homemade copycat Popeyes’ Cajun Fries are crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, with the perfect kick. They taste the same if not better than the fast-food French fry. What distinguishes these Popeyes Fries is an irresistible mix of seasonings for an authentic Cajun treat.
For the French Fries
- 2 large russet potatoes peeled and rinsed
- 2 quarts vegetable oil (you can also sub canola oil)
Slice and Soak the Potatoes
Slice the potatoes into 1/2-inch thick sticks. (You can use a French fry cutter for an even thickness.)
Soak the potato sticks in cold water for 1 hour or overnight. This process will help to remove the starch and make the French fries extra crispy.
Rinse the fries again and transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Pat dry and let them set for 5 minutes.
Make Popeyes French Fries
Heat oil in a deep fryer or dutch oven to 300ºF. Use a slotted spoon to lower the potato sticks into the oil very carefully. Fry in batches so that you won’t overcrowd your fryer. Fry each batch for about 4-5 minutes, and transfer them to a paper towel lined plate. Note that they won’t be crisp yet.
Increase the heat to 400ºF and fry each batch a second time for about 2-3 minutes. until they’re golden brown and crispy.
Remove them with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels.
Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning immediately as soon as they come out. Serve with ketchup and enjoy!
- Before frying your potatoes, soak them in cold water for at least an hour or overnight. This removes excess starch that can cause them to stick together in the fryer.
- Double frying for the extra crispy texture. The second round of frying helps to remove any residual moisture from your food, ensuring you get that extra crispy texture.
- For the first round of frying, you want your oil to be around 300°F. For the second fry, make sure the oil temp is around 400°F and let the fries cook until they’re golden and crispy.
Calories: 137kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 198mg | Potassium: 312mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 167IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 1mg