Want to take your sweet tooth on a journey? Look no further than these easy Traditional Russian Desserts that can be made at home. Russians love their desserts! From cakes to chocolates to truffles, Russians have a variety of irresistible confections to end your meal on a high note.
What is Russia’s National Dessert?
The Russian Napoleon Cake is a popular dessert that is considered one of Russia’s national dishes. This layered cake consists of crispy pastry and a sweet, creamy custard filling. Though it can be time-consuming to make, the results are definitely worth the effort.
What is the Most Popular Dessert in Russia?
Baklava has got to be one of Russia’s most famous and popular desserts. The sweet, flaky pastry is loved by people all over the world and can be found in many shops, bakeries and restaurants.
Best Russian Desserts
This flaky pastry is one of Russia’s most popular desserts. Baklava combines the flavors of honey and walnuts for an irresistible sweet treat.
These soft, buttery cake balls are as fun to make as they are to eat. A generous dusting of powdered sugar gives snowball cookies their name.
This nutty, chocolatey dessert truly resembles a roll of salami. Each slice is like a crunchy cookie that can be enjoyed with coffee or tea.
Fluffy layers of custard buttercream and soft chocolate cake make up this traditional dessert.
A rich, sweet cream filling is encased in a flaky pastry and a crunchy topping. You won’t believe how buttery and smooth this frosting is.
These slightly sweet, slightly cheesy pancakes can be enjoyed for breakfast or whenever you’re craving something delicious. Top with syrup, fruit or cream.
Layers of honey-sweetened cake and a slightly tart sour cream frosting make this classic cake.
Though these cakes are shaped like potatoes, they’re made of cake, frosting, and chocolate. They’re the perfect mini dessert for your next gathering.
Rest assured, there are no potatoes in these decadent truffles. Instead, you’ll find buttery layers of vanilla cake, chocolate and nuts.
These adorable desserts resemble Chinese dumplings but are filled with a sweet cream cheese filling. Adults and kids alike can’t resist these tasty treats.
You May Also Like
- 12 Popular Spanish Desserts
- 13 Best Authentic Mexican Desserts
- 15 Traditional Irish Desserts
- 22 Fancy Desserts
10 Traditional Russian Desserts (Baklava Recipe & More)
- 16 oz phyllo dough thawed
- 16 oz walnuts
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter melted
- optional melted chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a food processor, add walnuts, ground cinnamon, cardamom, and salt. Blend until walnuts are well chopped.
- Place 5 layers of phyllo dough on the baking sheet, brushing each layer with melted butter.
- Spread 2/3 cup of the walnut mixture on top of the dough evenly.
- Add another 5 layers of the phyllo dough and brush each layer with butter. Then add another 2/3 cup of the walnuts. Repeat until you use up all the dough and walnut mixture.
- Cut the assembled baklava into squares with your desired sizes.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Let it cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate or your favorite syrup. Serve and enjoy!