This post may contain affiliate links.
Please read my disclosure policy.
Roma Tomatoes are sweet and juicy eaten raw. They’re also delicious added to salads, and make amazing sauces when they’re harvested in late summer. We’ve rounded up 12 of the most popular roma tomato recipes. From homemade tomato sauce to creamy tomato basil soup, you’ll want to give them a try!
As summer approaches, you might be planning out what you’ll want to grow in your garden. Roma tomatoes are an excellent choice. If you don’t have a backyard vegetable garden, roma tomatoes are easy to source at farmer’s markets and grocery stores.
Best Roma Tomato Recipes
You’ll only need a handful of ingredients to make this delicious sauce! Try it in your favorite pasta recipes – you’ll never want to use store-bought tomato sauce again!
This classic soup uses simple ingredients you’re likely to have on hand. It takes just 40 minutes to make and would pair wonderfully with crunchy croutons or grilled cheese sandwiches!
Make a plan to serve this tasty chicken dish during the week! It only takes 35 minutes and would be delicious served with your favorite pasta.
Slow-roasting tomatoes really bring out the flavor of these tomatoes. Serve them alongside grilled meat or chop them up to use on pizza, with pasta, or in bruschetta!
You’ll only need roma tomatoes, olive oil and bay leaves to make this homemade tomato paste! Make a batch and store it in ice cube trays for the perfect portion size! When you’re ready to use the tomato paste, just grab a couple of cubes from the freezer – it couldn’t be easier.
This one-dish meal is the perfect answer to pasta night. It’s on the table in just 30 minutes and would be delicious served with crispy garlic bread!
You’ll love the vibrant colors of this sweet and juicy salsa! Serve it with grilled meat, sprinkle it on tacos, or enjoy it with crispy tortilla chips!
Serve this delightful tomato pie at next week’s brunch! It uses simple ingredients and is really easy to make. Serve it warm or at room temperature with a crisp garden salad.
Serve this impressive dish at your next dinner party! The chicken is baked until tender and is topped with mozzarella and sliced tomatoes. Enjoy it with creamy fettuccine alfredo for an amazing meal!
This salad is the perfect combination of tomatoes, avocados, and cucumbers! It’s light, refreshing, and perfect for a summer meal on the patio.
You’ll love the fresh flavors of this easy pico do gallo. Serve it with grilled meat, on your favorite tacos, or enjoy it with crispy tortilla chips!
Make a batch of these tasty marinated tomatoes and enjoy them on salads, as a side dish, or even on bread as a delicious sandwich!
Easy Roma Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 1 ½ lbs plum tomatoes about 6-8 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic I use 3 cloves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt to taste
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to boil.
- Score a shallow “X” on the bottom of each tomato with a sharp knife.
- Pace tomatoes in the boiling water, and cook until the skin start to split, about 45 seconds.
- Lift the tomatoes out with a slotted spoon and place them in the cold water.
- Transfer the cooled tomatoes to a large bowl. Peel the skin and pull apart the tomatoes into small pieces with your hands. (This will produce a very chunky sauce, if you prefer a smooth sauce, use a food processor to blend until smooth.)
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, add olive oil and garlic. Be careful not to brown the garlic.
- Pour the tomato pieces (together with the juices) into the skillet and bring the mixture to a simmer. Continue simmering, stirring occasionally until the sauce reach your desired consistency. (Simmer for about 30 minutes for a thinner tomato sauce, and for up to 90 minutes for a thick tomato sauce.)
- Add in butter, balsamic vinegar and mix well. Then season with salt to taste.