Picnics are great for meetups with friends, family outings or even a romantic date for two. We’ve rounded up 20 Easy Picnic Food Ideas, including popular items for kids and adults. Expand your picnic menu with a few of these unique and exciting recipes!
What Food Do You Bring on A Picnic?
Sandwiches are a popular picnic food because they’re easy to make, portable, and can be eaten without plates or utensils. Finger foods are also ideal for picnics to enable guests to enjoy a variety of foods.
What Should I Bring on A Romantic Date Picnic?
For a romantic picnic date, it’s all about the ambiance. Select a nice picnic blanket and use flowers and other decors to set the mood. Head to an ideal location such as the beach or a park. Wine, chocolates and fruits help to make things feel more romantic.
Easy Picnic Ideas
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches: Juicy cuts of pork are slowly simmered in a smoky barbecue sauce and shredded to make the ultimate sandwich filling. Pair with creamy cole slaw to make your picnic dreams come true.
- Chopped Cheese Sandwiches: These meaty sandwiches are filled with chopped beef, melted cheese, caramelized onions, lettuce and tomatoes. This classic NYC chopped cheese sandwich will be the start of your picnic.
- Chicken Avocado Roll-Ups: Simple, satisfying, and delicious! Use leftover chicken and a creamy avocado filling for an easy picnic appetizer.
- Cucumber Sandwiches: These mini cucumber sandwiches are refreshing and flavorful. It only takes a few minutes to whip up a batch for your next picnic.
- Spicy Crab Rolls: Add some sushi to your picnic basket with these spicy crab rolls. You won’t believe how easy it is to make delicious sushi rolls at home.
Picnic Ideas for Couples
- Popeyes Buttermilk Biscuits: These buttery, flaky biscuits make a tasty side dish for fried chicken. Skip the trip to Popeyes and make your own homemade buttermilk biscuits.
- BLT Pasta Salad: Who says salad has to be boring? This colorful pasta salad comes together in just 15 minutes and makes for an exciting side dish.
- Heirloom Tomato Salad: This fresh, summery salad is impressive to look at and a joy to eat. Top it off with herbs, onions and a balsamic dressing for a mouth-watering meal.
- Chicken Salad Sandwich: This creamy chicken salad filling makes a delicious sandwich and can also be used as a spread for crackers. If you’ve got leftover chicken, there’s no better way to use it.
- Macarons: These cute, colorful desserts are the perfect sweet treat for a picnic. Best of all, this classic French dessert can be made by beginners.
Picnic Food Ideas for Family with Kids
- Crescent Roll Hot Dogs: Kids and grownups alike will love these zany hot dogs. Serve with their favorite dipping sauce for a picnic they’ll never forget.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich: Even after all these years, the peanut butter and jelly sandwich is still loved by kids everywhere. Be sure to bring along a few of these classic sandwiches to your next family picnic.
- Chicken Salad Pitas: Short on time? These chicken salad pitas take just 15 minutes to prepare and are sure to please even the pickiest eaters.
- Vegetable Sticks with Avocado Dip: Keep the kids healthy with these bite-size veggies and creamy avocado dip. Make this plant-based snack in under fifteen minutes when you’re short on time.
- Mini Quiches: Crispy pastry is filled with cheese and meat for a miniature version of the popular French tart. These bite-size mini quiches are too good to have just one.
Picnic Finger Food Ideas
- Oreo Cookie Balls (Truffles): These Oreo cookie truffles are the ultimate sweet treat for the chocolate lovers at your picnic. These mini desserts look super impressive, but require just three ingredients.
- Ritz Cracker Appetizers: Ritz crackers are a simple and versatile ingredient that can be used to make a wide variety of appetizers. Enjoy these savory and sweet hors d’oeuvres at your next picnic.
- Bake Mango Habanero Wings: These crispy wings are spicy, sweet and full of flavor. Nothing could be more perfect for a picnic or get-together with friends.
- Blueberry Scones: You won’t be able to resist these fruity, flaky scones. Top with a creamy vanilla glaze for a delectable bite-size treat.
- Air Fryer Pizza Rolls: These pizza rolls are made completely from scratch and are sure to be a favorite at your picnic. Make them in the air fryer in under ten minutes.
You May Also Like
20 Easy Picnic Ideas (Habanero Chicken Wings Recipe & More)
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups mango chunks
- 3 habanero peppers stems removed and seeded
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Mix together the baking powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Mix the chicken wings with the seasoning mixture. Then place the seasoned wings on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until slightly crispy, flipping the wings halfway through using kitchen tongs.
- While the wings are baking, make the mango habanero sauce. Add the mango chunks, habaneros, garlic, vinegar and lime juice to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add the mango habanero sauce and honey to a small saucepan. Place onto medium heat and bring to a simmer, stirring to help the honey dissolve. Let it bubble for 3-4 minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Remove the wings from the oven. Brush each wing with the mango habanero sauce to coat completely.
- Return to the oven to bake for 10 more minutes more or slightly caramelized. Remove from the oven. Serve and enjoy!